Design, measure, fit, and adapt lenses and frames for client according to written optical prescription or specification. Assist client with inserting, removing, and caring for contact lenses. Assist client with selecting frames. Measure customer for size of eyeglasses and coordinate frames with facial and eye measurements and optical prescription. Prepare work order for optical laboratory containing instructions for grinding and mounting lenses in frames. Verify exactness of finished lens spectacles. Adjust frame and lens position to fit client. May shape or reshape frames. Includes contact lens opticians.
- Arrange and maintain displays of optical merchandise.
- Repair damaged frames.
- Perform administrative duties such as tracking inventory and sales, submitting patient insurance information, and performing simple bookkeeping.
- Grind lens edges, or apply coatings to lenses.
- Order and purchase frames and lenses.
- Supervise the training of student opticians.
- Obtain a customer's previous record, or verify a prescription with the examining optometrist or ophthalmologist.
- Assemble eyeglasses by cutting and edging lenses, and fitting the lenses into frames.
- Show customers how to insert, remove, and care for their contact lenses.
- Determine clients' current lens prescriptions, when necessary, using lensometers or lens analyzers and clients' eyeglasses.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ECR.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Conventional and Realistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Relationships and Support in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2014, the average annual wage in United States was $36,260 with most people making between $21,510 and $55,160
During 2012, this occupation employed approximately 67,600 people in United States. It is projected that there will be 83,500 employed in 2022.
This occupation will have about 1,590 openings due to growth and about 1,940 replacement openings for approximately 3,530 total annual openings.
- Meeting, Convention, and Event Planners
- Floral Designers
- Merchandise Displayers and Window Trimmers
- Dietetic Technicians
- Pharmacy Technicians
- Hosts and Hostesses, Restaurant, Lounge, and Coffee Shop
- First-Line Supervisors of Housekeeping and Janitorial Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Personal Service Workers
- Personal Care Aides
- Insurance Sales Agents
- Medical Appliance Technicians
majorOpticianry/Ophthalmic Dispensing Optician
collegeLoma Linda University
onetDietitians and Nutritionists
collegeUniversity of California-Berkeley
majorDiagnostic Medical Sonography/Sonographer and Ultrasound Technician
collegeUniversity of Alabama at Birmingham
collegeAlabama State University