Collect data on work environments for analysis by occupational health and safety specialists. Implement and conduct evaluation of programs designed to limit chemical, physical, biological, and ergonomic risks to workers.
- Construction Health and Safety Technician
- Construction Safety Consultant
- Director of Safety
- Environmental Health Technologist
- Environmental, Health, and Safety EHS Leader
- Ergonomics Technician
- Health and Safety Coordinator
- Health and Safety Tech
- Mine Patrol
- Test workplaces for environmental hazards, such as exposure to radiation, chemical or biological hazards, or excessive noise.
- Verify availability or monitor use of safety equipment, such as hearing protection or respirators.
- Supply, operate, or maintain personal protective equipment.
- Evaluate situations or make determinations when a worker has refused to work on the grounds that danger or potential harm exists.
- Maintain all required environmental records and documentation.
- Prepare or calibrate equipment used to collect or analyze samples.
- Plan emergency response drills.
- Recommend corrective measures to be applied based on results of environmental contaminant analyses.
- Prepare or review specifications or orders for the purchase of safety equipment, ensuring that proper features are present and that items conform to health and safety standards.
- Conduct worker studies to determine whether specific instances of disease or illness are job-related.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: CR.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Conventional interests, but also prefer Realistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Achievement in their jobs.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Law and Government - Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2013, the average annual wage in United States was $50,390 with most people making between $28,390 and $75,850
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 10,000 people in United States. It is projected that there will be 12,000 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 5,000 replacement openings for approximately 5,000 total annual openings.
collegeCUNY Hunter College
collegeJ F Drake State Community and Technical College
majorRadiation Protection/Health Physics Technician
collegeCommunity College of the Air Force
majorRadiologic Technology/Science - Radiographer
majorOccupational Health and Industrial Hygiene