Assist mentally impaired or emotionally disturbed patients, working under direction of nursing and medical staff. May assist with daily living activities, lead patients in educational and recreational activities, or accompany patients to and from examinations and treatments. May restrain violent patients. Includes psychiatric orderlies.
- Certified Nurses' Aide (CNA)
- Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA)
- Charge Aide
- Charge Attendant
- Developmental Aide
- Health Service Worker
- Health Technician
- Mental Health Aide
- Mental Health Assistant
- Mental Health Counselor
- Interview patients upon admission and record information.
- Complete administrative tasks, such as entering orders into computer, answering telephone calls, or maintaining medical or facility information.
- Perform nursing duties, such as administering medications, measuring vital signs, collecting specimens, or drawing blood samples.
- Participate in recreational activities with patients, including card games, sports, or television viewing.
- Accompany patients to and from wards for medical or dental treatments, shopping trips, or religious or recreational events.
- Aid patients in becoming accustomed to hospital routine.
- Organize, supervise, or encourage patient participation in social, educational, or recreational activities.
- Serve meals or feed patients needing assistance or persuasion.
- Provide mentally impaired or emotionally disturbed patients with routine physical, emotional, psychological, or rehabilitation care under the direction of nursing or medical staff.
- Restrain or aid patients as necessary to prevent injury.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: SRC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Social interests, but also prefer Realistic and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Independence in their jobs.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Therapy and Counseling - Knowledge of principles, methods, and procedures for diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation of physical and mental dysfunctions, and for career counseling and guidance.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Sociology and Anthropology - Knowledge of group behavior and dynamics, societal trends and influences, human migrations, ethnicity, cultures and their history and origins.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $31,360 with most people making between $25,630 and $38,070
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 3,050 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 3,000 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 30 replacement openings for approximately 30 total annual openings.
collegeUniversity of Southern California
collegeLoma Linda University
majorPsychiatric/Mental Health Services Technician
collegeSan Diego State University
collegeCalifornia State University-Long Beach