Under close supervision of a physical therapist or physical therapy assistant, perform only delegated, selected, or routine tasks in specific situations. These duties include preparing the patient and the treatment area.
- Clinical Rehabilitation Aide
- Licensed Physical Therapist Assistant (LPTA)
- Occupational Therapy Aide
- Physical Therapist Aide (PTA)
- Physical Therapist Assistant (PTA)
- Physical Therapist Technician
- Physical Therapy Aide (PT Aide)
- Physical Therapy Aide (PTA)
- Physical Therapy Assistant (PTA)
- Physical Therapy Attendant
- Clean and organize work area and disinfect equipment after treatment.
- Instruct, motivate, safeguard, or assist patients practicing exercises or functional activities, under direction of medical staff.
- Record treatment given and equipment used.
- Administer active or passive manual therapeutic exercises, therapeutic massage, or heat, light, sound, water, or electrical modality treatments, such as ultrasound.
- Transport patients to and from treatment areas, using wheelchairs or providing standing support.
- Change linens, such as bed sheets and pillow cases.
- Secure patients into or onto therapy equipment.
- Schedule patient appointments with physical therapists and coordinate therapists' schedules.
- Observe patients during treatment to compile and evaluate data on patients' responses and progress and report to physical therapist.
- Confer with physical therapy staff or others to discuss and evaluate patient information for planning, modifying, or coordinating treatment.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: SR.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Social interests, but also prefer Realistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Achievement and Support in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Therapy and Counseling - Knowledge of principles, methods, and procedures for diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation of physical and mental dysfunctions, and for career counseling and guidance.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2013, the average annual wage in United States was $25,990 with most people making between $17,820 and $36,390
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 47,000 people in United States. It is projected that there will be 67,000 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 2,000 openings due to growth and about 25,000 replacement openings for approximately 27,000 total annual openings.
collegeCalifornia State University-Long Beach
collegeLoma Linda University
majorPhysical Therapy Technician/Assistant
collegeUniversity of Southern California
collegeUniversity of California-Los Angeles
onetPhysical Therapist Assistants