Perform therapeutic massages of soft tissues and joints. May assist in the assessment of range of motion and muscle strength, or propose client therapy plans.
- Therapeutic Massage Technician
- Swedish Masseuse
- Reiki Master
- Registered Massage Therapist
- Orthopedic Neuromuscular Therapist
- Neuromuscular Therapist
- Medical Massage Therapist
- Prepare and blend oils and apply the blends to clients' skin.
- Use complementary aids, such as infrared lamps, wet compresses, ice, and whirlpool baths to promote clients' recovery, relaxation, and well-being.
- Consult with other health care professionals, such as physiotherapists, chiropractors, physicians, and psychologists, to develop treatment plans for clients.
- Refer clients to other types of therapists when necessary.
- Treat clients in professional settings or travel to clients' offices and homes.
- Provide clients with guidance and information about techniques for postural improvement and stretching, strengthening, relaxation, and rehabilitative exercises.
- Assess clients' soft tissue condition, joint quality and function, muscle strength, and range of motion.
- Apply finger and hand pressure to specific points of the body.
- Develop and propose client treatment plans that specify which types of massage are to be used.
- Maintain treatment records.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: SR.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Social interests, but also prefer Realistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Independence and Achievement in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Medicine and Dentistry - Knowledge of the information and techniques needed to diagnose and treat human injuries, diseases, and deformities. This includes symptoms, treatment alternatives, drug properties and interactions, and preventive health-care measures.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2013, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $39,200 with most people making between $19,130 and $58,630
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 3,700 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 4,150 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have about 45 openings due to growth and about 55 replacement openings for approximately 100 total annual openings.
majorAsian Bodywork Therapy
onetPhysical Therapist Aides
majorMassage Therapy/Therapeutic Massage
collegeCUNY Hunter College
collegeCalifornia State University-Long Beach
collegeUniversity of California-Los Angeles