Prepare, sterilize, install, or clean laboratory or healthcare equipment. May perform routine laboratory tasks and operate or inspect equipment.
- Surgical Technician
- Surgery Technician (Surgery Tech)
- Sterilization Technician
- Sterilization Specialist
- Sterile Technician
- Sterile Processing Technician
- Sterile Processing and Distribution Technician (SPD Technician)
- Sterile Processing and Distribution Technician (SPD Tech)
- Sterile Preparation Technician
- Assist hospital staff with patient care duties, such as providing transportation or setting up traction.
- Install and set up medical equipment, using hand tools.
- Deliver equipment to specified hospital locations or to patients' residences.
- Purge wastes from equipment by connecting equipment to water sources and flushing water through systems.
- Disinfect and sterilize equipment such as respirators, hospital beds, or oxygen or dialysis equipment, using sterilizers, aerators, or washers.
- Attend hospital in-service programs related to areas of work specialization.
- Check sterile supplies to ensure that they are not outdated.
- Start equipment and observe gauges and equipment operation to detect malfunctions and to ensure equipment is operating to prescribed standards.
- Stock crash carts or other medical supplies.
- Maintain records of inventory or equipment usage and order medical instruments or supplies when inventory is low.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RCI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional and Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Biology - Knowledge of plant and animal organisms, their tissues, cells, functions, interdependencies, and interactions with each other and the environment.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2013, the average annual wage in Washington was $36,030 with most people making between $26,010 and $47,340
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 1,770 people in Washington. It is projected that there will be 2,140 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have about 37 openings due to growth and about 23 replacement openings for approximately 60 total annual openings.
collegeCharles A Jones Career and Education Center
majorMedical Office Assistant/Specialist
collegeLoma Linda University
collegeAmerican River College
majorSterile Processing Technology/Technician