Directly supervise and coordinate activities of members of police force.
- Vehicle Maintenance Unit Commanding Officer
- Uniform Force Captain
- Under Sheriff
- Traffic Supervisor
- Traffic Sergeant
- Traffic Lieutenant
- Traffic Division Commanding Officer
- Suspect Artist Supervisor
- Special Weapons and Tactics Officer (SWAT Officer)
- Special Agent in Charge (SAC)
- Direct release or transfer of prisoners.
- Prepare budgets and manage expenditures of department funds.
- Prepare news releases and respond to police correspondence.
- Meet with civic, educational, and community groups to develop community programs and events, and to discuss law enforcement subjects.
- Requisition and issue equipment and supplies.
- Inspect facilities, supplies, vehicles, and equipment to ensure conformance to standards.
- Develop, implement and revise departmental policies and procedures.
- Discipline staff for violation of department rules and regulations.
- Conduct raids and order detention of witnesses and suspects for questioning.
- Prepare work schedules and assign duties to subordinates.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ESC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Social and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Recognition and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Law and Government - Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Management of Personnel Resources - Motivating, developing, and directing people as they work, identifying the best people for the job.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2013, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $121,670 with most people making between $95,740 and $151,090
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 3,550 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 3,500 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 160 replacement openings for approximately 160 total annual openings.
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation
onetPolice Patrol Officers
collegeCalifornia Baptist University
majorCriminal Justice/Law Enforcement Administration
majorCriminal Justice/Safety Studies
collegeUniversity of Southern California
majorCriminalistics and Criminal Science
majorCriminal Justice/Police Science
onetCriminal Investigators and Special Agents
collegeCalifornia State University-Los Angeles