Supervise fire fighters who control and suppress fires in forests or vacant public land.
- County Forest Ranger
- Crew Boss
- Engine Boss
- Fire Apparatus Engineer
- Fire Captain
- Fire Fighter
- Firefighter Type One (FFT1)
- Fire Hand Crew Boss
- Fire Management Officer
- Appraise damage caused by fires and prepare damage reports.
- Investigate special fire issues, such as railroad fire problems, right-of-way burning, or slash disposal problems.
- Educate the public about forest fire prevention by participating in activities such as exhibits or presentations or by distributing promotional materials.
- Drive crew carriers to transport firefighters to fire sites.
- Lead work crews in the maintenance of structures or access roads in forest areas.
- Monitor fire suppression expenditures to ensure that they are necessary and reasonable.
- Direct investigations of suspected arson in wildfires, working closely with other investigating agencies.
- Regulate open burning by issuing burning permits, inspecting problem sites, issuing citations for violations of laws and ordinances, or educating the public in proper burning practices.
- Schedule employee work assignments and set work priorities.
- Inspect stations, uniforms, equipment, or recreation areas to ensure compliance with safety standards, taking corrective action as necessary.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ERC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Realistic and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Achievement and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Geography - Knowledge of principles and methods for describing the features of land, sea, and air masses, including their physical characteristics, locations, interrelationships, and distribution of plant, animal, and human life.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2013, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $106,320 with most people making between $75,520 and $142,960
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 1,700 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 1,700 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have approximately 90 job openings annually.
onetMunicipal Fire Fighting and Prevention Supervisors
collegeCalifornia State University-Long Beach
collegeRiverside City College
collegeCentral Lakes College-Brainerd
majorCriminal Justice/Police Science
collegeCalifornia State University-Los Angeles
majorFire Services Administration
onetAirline Pilots, Copilots, and Flight Engineers
majorNatural Resources Law Enforcement and Protective Services