Inspect buildings and equipment to detect fire hazards and enforce state and local regulations.
- State Fire Marshal
- Smoke Inspector
- Fire Sprinkler Apparatus Inspector
- Fire Safety Inspector
- Fire Safety Director
- Fire Protection Specialist
- Fire Prevention Training Officer
- Fire Prevention Supervisor
- Fire Prevention Specialist
- Collect fees for permits and licenses.
- Serve court appearance summonses or condemnation notices on parties responsible for violations of fire codes, laws, and ordinances.
- Supervise staff, training them, planning their work, and evaluating their performance.
- Search for clues as to the cause of a fire, once the fire is completely extinguished.
- Issue permits for public assemblies.
- Investigate causes of fires, collecting and preparing evidence and presenting it in court when necessary.
- Arrange for the replacement of defective fire fighting equipment and for repair of fire alarm and sprinkler systems, making minor repairs such as servicing fire extinguishers when feasible.
- Recommend changes to fire prevention, inspection, and fire code endorsement procedures.
- Testify in court regarding fire code and fire safety issues.
- Teach public education programs on fire safety and prevention.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: CR.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Conventional interests, but also prefer Realistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Support and Independence in their jobs.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Law and Government - Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2013, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $53,930 with most people making between $29,420 and $81,180
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 1,200 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 1,200 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have approximately 30 job openings annually.
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation
- Fire-Prevention and Protection Engineers
- Occupational Health and Safety Specialists
- Municipal Fire Fighting and Prevention Supervisors
- Municipal Firefighters
- Forest Firefighters
- Fire Investigators
- Correctional Officers and Jailers
- Police Detectives
- Criminal Investigators and Special Agents
- Police Patrol Officers
- Sheriffs and Deputy Sheriffs
- Transit and Railroad Police
- Private Detectives and Investigators
- Security Guards
- Lifeguards, Ski Patrol, and Other Recreational Protective Service Workers
- Construction and Building Inspectors
collegeCalifornia State University-Los Angeles
majorCriminalistics and Criminal Science
onetCriminal Investigators and Special Agents
collegeUniversity of Southern California
collegeRiverside City College
majorFire Prevention and Safety Technology/Technician
collegeLong Beach City College
majorCriminal Justice/Police Science