Enforce law and order in rural or unincorporated districts or serve legal processes of courts. May patrol courthouse, guard court or grand jury, or escort defendants.
- Under Sheriff
- Supervising Deputy
- Special Deputy Sheriff
- Sheriffs Officer
- Sheriffs Detective
- Sheriff's Sergeant
- Sheriff's Officer
- Sheriff's Detective
- Sheriff Officer
- Sheriff Deputy
- Manage jail operations and tend to jail inmates.
- Place people in protective custody.
- Supervise law enforcement staff, such as jail staff, officers, and deputy sheriffs.
- Locate and confiscate real or personal property, as directed by court order.
- Transport or escort prisoners and defendants en route to courtrooms, prisons or jails, attorneys' offices, or medical facilities.
- Patrol and guard courthouses, grand jury rooms, or assigned areas to provide security, enforce laws, maintain order, and arrest violators.
- Question individuals entering secured areas to determine their business, directing and rerouting individuals as necessary.
- Serve statements of claims, subpoenas, summonses, jury summonses, orders to pay alimony, and other court orders.
- Notify patrol units to take violators into custody or to provide needed assistance or medical aid.
- Execute arrest warrants, locating and taking persons into custody.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ERS.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Realistic and Social environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Relationships and Support in their jobs.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Law and Government - Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Negotiation - Bringing others together and trying to reconcile differences.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2013, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $88,220 with most people making between $55,540 and $117,570
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 23,850 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 23,700 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 620 replacement openings for approximately 620 total annual openings.
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation
collegeUniversity of Southern California
collegeCalifornia State University-Los Angeles
onetCriminal Investigators and Special Agents
collegeLong Beach City College
majorCriminal Justice/Police Science
onetPolice Patrol Officers
collegeSacramento City College
majorCriminal Justice/Law Enforcement Administration
majorCriminalistics and Criminal Science
majorProtective Services Operations