Guard, patrol, or monitor premises to prevent theft, violence, or infractions of rules. May operate x-ray and metal detector equipment.
- Monitor and adjust controls that regulate building systems, such as air conditioning, furnace, or boiler.
- Inspect and adjust security systems, equipment, or machinery to ensure operational use and to detect evidence of tampering.
- Warn persons of rule infractions or violations, and apprehend or evict violators from premises, using force when necessary.
- Answer telephone calls to take messages, answer questions, and provide information during non-business hours or when switchboard is closed.
- Operate detecting devices to screen individuals and prevent passage of prohibited articles into restricted areas.
- Escort or drive motor vehicle to transport individuals to specified locations or to provide personal protection.
- Patrol industrial or commercial premises to prevent and detect signs of intrusion and ensure security of doors, windows, and gates.
- Circulate among visitors, patrons, or employees to preserve order and protect property.
- Answer alarms and investigate disturbances.
- Call police or fire departments in cases of emergency, such as fire or presence of unauthorized persons.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RCE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional and Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2014, the average annual wage in United States was $28,040 with most people making between $17,720 and $44,200
During 2012, this occupation employed approximately 1,074,300 people in United States. It is projected that there will be 1,203,900 employed in 2022.
This occupation will have about 12,960 openings due to growth and about 16,460 replacement openings for approximately 29,420 total annual openings.
- Municipal Firefighters
- Forest Firefighters
- Forest Fire Inspectors and Prevention Specialists
- Correctional Officers and Jailers
- Police Detectives
- Fish and Game Wardens
- Police Patrol Officers
- Sheriffs and Deputy Sheriffs
- Transit and Railroad Police
- Private Detectives and Investigators
- Bus Drivers, School or Special Client
collegeAmerican River College
collegeLong Beach City College
collegeSacramento City College
majorSecurity and Loss Prevention Services
majorCriminalistics and Criminal Science
onetPolice Patrol Officers
onetCriminal Investigators and Special Agents
onetSheriffs and Deputy Sheriffs
majorCriminal Justice/Police Science
collegeUniversity of Southern California