Monitor recreational areas, such as pools, beaches, or ski slopes to provide assistance and protection to participants.
- Alpine Patroller
- Aquatics Director
- Beach Attendant
- Beach Lifeguard
- Beach Patrol Lieutenant
- Boating Safety Officer
- Bus Monitor
- Cafeteria Monitor
- Certified Ski Patroller
- Gamewell Operator
- Participate in recreational demonstrations to entertain resort guests.
- Operate underwater recovery units.
- Provide assistance in the safe use of equipment, such as ski lifts.
- Provide assistance with staff selection, training, and supervision.
- Inspect recreational facilities for cleanliness.
- Inspect recreational equipment, such as rope tows, T-bars, J-bars, and chair lifts, for safety hazards and damage or wear.
- Observe activities in assigned areas, using binoculars, to detect hazards, disturbances, or safety infractions.
- Warn recreational participants of inclement weather, unsafe areas, or illegal conduct.
- Maintain quality of pool water by testing chemical levels.
- Complete and maintain records of weather and beach conditions, emergency medical treatments performed, and other relevant incident information.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RS.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Social environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Achievement in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Medicine and Dentistry - Knowledge of the information and techniques needed to diagnose and treat human injuries, diseases, and deformities. This includes symptoms, treatment alternatives, drug properties and interactions, and preventive health-care measures.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $21,120 with most people making between $16,150 and $29,510
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 5,500 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 5,800 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have about 30 openings due to growth and about 370 replacement openings for approximately 400 total annual openings.
majorCriminalistics and Criminal Science
collegeCalifornia State University-Long Beach
collegeUniversity of California-Davis
onetPolice Patrol Officers
onetAmbulance Drivers and Attendants, Except Emergency Medical Technicians
collegeRiverside City College
majorCriminal Justice/Police Science
collegeUniversity of Southern California
majorNatural Resources Law Enforcement and Protective Services