Serve food to diners at counter or from a steam table.
- Cafe Attendant
- Cafe Server
- Cafeteria Cook
- Cafeteria Food Server
- Cafeteria Server
- Cafeteria Worker
- Cafe Worker
- Candy Attendant
- Candy Bar Attendant
- Arrange reservations for patrons of dining establishments.
- Add relishes and garnishes to food orders, according to instructions.
- Deliver orders to kitchens, and pick up and serve food when it is ready.
- Carve meat.
- Set up dining areas for meals and clear them following meals.
- Serve salads, vegetables, meat, breads, and cocktails, ladle soups and sauces, portion desserts, and fill beverage cups and glasses.
- Order items needed to replenish supplies.
- Take customers' orders and write ordered items on tickets, giving ticket stubs to customers when needed to identify filled orders.
- Brew coffee and tea, and fill containers with requested beverages.
- Replenish foods at serving stations.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RSE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Social and Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Food Production - Knowledge of techniques and equipment for planting, growing, and harvesting food products (both plant and animal) for consumption, including storage/handling techniques.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Some of these occupations may require a high school diploma or GED certificate.
In 2013, the average annual wage in Washington was $22,610 with most people making between $19,170 and $29,940
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 26,650 people in Washington. It is projected that there will be 28,390 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have about 174 openings due to growth and about 1,966 replacement openings for approximately 2,140 total annual openings.
- Cooks, Fast Food
- Cooks, Institution and Cafeteria
- Cooks, Short Order
- Food Preparation Workers
- Combined Food Preparation and Serving Workers, Including Fast Food
- Food Servers, Nonrestaurant
- Dining Room and Cafeteria Attendants and Bartender Helpers
- Ushers, Lobby Attendants, and Ticket Takers
- Manicurists and Pedicurists
- Baggage Porters and Bellhops
- Hotel, Motel, and Resort Desk Clerks
- Cargo and Freight Agents
- Flight Attendants
- Transportation Attendants, Except Flight Attendants
collegeMaxine Waters Employment Preparation Center
onetFood Servers, Nonrestaurant
majorCulinary Arts/Chef Training
majorBusiness Administration and Management, General
collegeSacramento City College
onetCooks, Fast Food
collegeCalifornia State University-Long Beach
majorCooking and Related Culinary Arts, General
onetCombined Food Preparation and Serving Workers, Including Fast Food
onetChefs and Head Cooks
collegeLong Beach City College
majorBaking and Pastry Arts/Baker/Pastry Chef