Directly supervise and coordinate work activities of cleaning personnel in hotels, hospitals, offices, and other establishments.
- Building Cleaning Supervisor
- Building Maintenance Supervisor
- Buildings and Grounds Coordinator
- Buildings and Grounds Director
- Buildings and Grounds Superintendent
- Buildings and Grounds Supervisor
- Building Services Supervisor
- Building Superintendent, Cleaning, Painting, Maintenance
- Building Superintendent, Custodian, Janitor, Maintenance
- Building Supervisor
- Perform grounds maintenance tasks, such as removing snow and mowing the lawn.
- Perform financial tasks, such as estimating costs and preparing and managing budgets.
- Supervise in-house services such as laundries, maintenance and repair, dry cleaning, or valet services.
- Advise managers, desk clerks, or admitting personnel of rooms ready for occupancy.
- Direct activities for stopping the spread of infections in facilities such as hospitals.
- Evaluate employee performance and recommend personnel actions such as promotions, transfers, and dismissals.
- Forecast necessary levels of staffing and stock at different times to facilitate effective scheduling and ordering.
- Recommend or arrange for additional services, such as painting, repair work, renovations, and the replacement of furnishings and equipment.
- Issue supplies and equipment to workers.
- Screen job applicants, and hire new employees.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ECR.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Conventional and Realistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Support and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Personnel and Human Resources - Knowledge of principles and procedures for personnel recruitment, selection, training, compensation and benefits, labor relations and negotiation, and personnel information systems.
- Management of Personnel Resources - Motivating, developing, and directing people as they work, identifying the best people for the job.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2013, the average annual wage in Washington was $40,010 with most people making between $22,770 and $59,770
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 3,580 people in Washington. It is projected that there will be 4,170 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have about 60 openings due to growth and about 40 replacement openings for approximately 100 total annual openings.
- Lodging Managers
- Postmasters and Mail Superintendents
- Social and Community Service Managers
- Human Resources Specialists
- English Language and Literature Teachers, Postsecondary
- Foreign Language and Literature Teachers, Postsecondary
- First-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
- Hosts and Hostesses, Restaurant, Lounge, and Coffee Shop
- First-Line Supervisors of Landscaping, Lawn Service, and Groundskeeping Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Personal Service Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Office and Administrative Support Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Logging Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Construction Trades and Extraction Workers
majorLandscaping and Groundskeeping
collegeCalifornia Institute of Technology
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
collegeSan Diego State University
collegeJacksonville State University
collegeUniversity of California-Berkeley
majorBusiness Administration and Management, General
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Landscaping, Lawn Service, and Groundskeeping Workers