Keep buildings in clean and orderly condition. Perform heavy cleaning duties, such as cleaning floors, shampooing rugs, washing walls and glass, and removing rubbish. Duties may include tending furnace and boiler, performing routine maintenance activities, notifying management of need for repairs, and cleaning snow or debris from sidewalk.
- Floor Sweeper
- Airport Attendant
- Alley Cleaner
- Alley Worker
- Brass Cleaner
- Brass Polisher
- Building Attendant
- Building Custodian
- Building Maintenance Custodian
- Monitor building security and safety by performing such tasks as locking doors after operating hours and checking electrical appliance use to ensure that hazards are not created.
- Service, clean, or supply restrooms.
- Gather and empty trash.
- Clean building floors by sweeping, mopping, scrubbing, or vacuuming.
- Follow procedures for the use of chemical cleaners and power equipment to prevent damage to floors and fixtures.
- Mix water and detergents or acids in containers to prepare cleaning solutions, according to specifications.
- Strip, seal, finish, and polish floors.
- Notify managers concerning the need for major repairs or additions to building operating systems.
- Requisition supplies or equipment needed for cleaning and maintenance duties.
- Clean windows, glass partitions, or mirrors, using soapy water or other cleaners, sponges, or squeegees.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Chemistry - Knowledge of the chemical composition, structure, and properties of substances and of the chemical processes and transformations that they undergo. This includes uses of chemicals and their interactions, danger signs, production techniques, and disposal methods.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
Some of these occupations may require a high school diploma or GED certificate.
In 2013, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $27,720 with most people making between $17,140 and $44,520
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 75,950 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 73,400 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 1,440 replacement openings for approximately 1,440 total annual openings.
majorIndustrial Mechanics and Maintenance Technology
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Housekeeping and Janitorial Workers
majorAirline/Commercial/Professional Pilot and Flight Crew
collegeCalifornia State University-Sacramento
collegeUniversity of Southern California
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Landscaping, Lawn Service, and Groundskeeping Workers
collegeSan Diego State University
onetMaids and Housekeeping Cleaners
collegeUniversity of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
majorCriminal Justice/Police Science
majorLandscaping and Groundskeeping
onetLandscaping and Groundskeeping Workers