Keep buildings in clean and orderly condition. Perform heavy cleaning duties, such as cleaning floors, shampooing rugs, washing walls and glass, and removing rubbish. Duties may include tending furnace and boiler, performing routine maintenance activities, notifying management of need for repairs, and cleaning snow or debris from sidewalk.
- Airport Attendant
- Alley Cleaner
- Alley Worker
- Brass Cleaner
- Brass Polisher
- Building Attendant
- Building Custodian
- Building Maintenance Custodian
- Building Maintenance Superintendent
- Clean chimneys, flues, and connecting pipes, using power or hand tools.
- Clean and restore building interiors damaged by fire, smoke, or water, using commercial cleaning equipment.
- Mow and trim lawns and shrubbery, using mowers and hand and power trimmers, and clear debris from grounds.
- Drive vehicles required to perform or travel to cleaning work, including vans, industrial trucks, or industrial vacuum cleaners.
- Make adjustments or minor repairs to heating, cooling, ventilating, plumbing, or electrical systems.
- Spray insecticides or fumigants to prevent insect or rodent infestation.
- Clean laboratory equipment, such as glassware or metal instruments, using solvents, brushes, rags, or power cleaning equipment.
- Remove snow from sidewalks, driveways, or parking areas, using snowplows, snow blowers, or snow shovels, or spread snow melting chemicals.
- Move heavy furniture, equipment, or supplies, either manually or by using hand trucks.
- Dust furniture, walls, machines, or equipment.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Chemistry - Knowledge of the chemical composition, structure, and properties of substances and of the chemical processes and transformations that they undergo. This includes uses of chemicals and their interactions, danger signs, production techniques, and disposal methods.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
Some of these occupations may require a high school diploma or GED certificate.
In 2012, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $27,440 with most people making between $16,840 and $44,820
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 75,950 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 73,400 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 1,440 replacement openings for approximately 1,440 total annual openings.
majorIndustrial Mechanics and Maintenance Technology
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Housekeeping and Janitorial Workers
majorAirline/Commercial/Professional Pilot and Flight Crew
collegeCalifornia State University-Sacramento
collegeUniversity of Southern California
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Landscaping, Lawn Service, and Groundskeeping Workers
collegeSan Diego State University
onetMaids and Housekeeping Cleaners
collegeUniversity of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
majorCriminal Justice/Police Science
majorLandscaping and Groundskeeping
onetLandscaping and Groundskeeping Workers