Perform any combination of light cleaning duties to maintain private households or commercial establishments, such as hotels and hospitals, in a clean and orderly manner. Duties may include making beds, replenishing linens, cleaning rooms and halls, and vacuuming.
- Bed Maker
- Bunk House Worker
- Cabin Cleaner
- Care Taker
- Cleaning Maid
- Cleaning Matron
- Carry linens, towels, toilet items, and cleaning supplies, using wheeled carts.
- Disinfect equipment and supplies, using germicides or steam-operated sterilizers.
- Clean rooms, hallways, lobbies, lounges, restrooms, corridors, elevators, stairways, locker rooms, and other work areas so that health standards are met.
- Empty wastebaskets, empty and clean ashtrays, and transport other trash and waste to disposal areas.
- Observe precautions required to protect hotel and guest property and report damage, theft, and found articles to supervisors.
- Replenish supplies, such as drinking glasses, linens, writing supplies, and bathroom items.
- Clean rugs, carpets, upholstered furniture, and draperies, using vacuum cleaners and shampooers.
- Dust and polish furniture and equipment.
- Keep storage areas and carts well-stocked, clean, and tidy.
- Wash windows, walls, ceilings, and woodwork, waxing and polishing as necessary.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Independence in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in United States was $21,820.00 with most people making between $16,430.00 and $30,980.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 1,427,000 people in United States. It is projected that there will be 1,538,000 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 11,000 openings due to growth and about 340,000 replacement openings for approximately 351,000 total annual openings.
- Cooks, Fast Food
- Food Preparation Workers
- Dining Room and Cafeteria Attendants and Bartender Helpers
- Janitors and Cleaners, Except Maids and Housekeeping Cleaners
- Nonfarm Animal Caretakers
- Library Assistants, Clerical
- Stock Clerks, Sales Floor
- Laundry and Dry-Cleaning Workers
- Packers and Packagers, Hand
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Landscaping, Lawn Service, and Groundskeeping Workers
collegeUniversity of Washington-Seattle Campus
onetJanitors and Cleaners, Except Maids and Housekeeping Cleaners
collegeCosumnes River College
majorCriminal Justice/Police Science
majorAccounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Housekeeping and Janitorial Workers
collegeColumbia University in the City of New York
majorAerospace, Aeronautical and Astronautical/Space Engineering
collegeUniversity of Southern California