Perform variety of tasks during funeral, such as placing casket in parlor or chapel prior to service; arranging floral offerings or lights around casket; directing or escorting mourners; closing casket; and issuing and storing funeral equipment.
- Administrative Assistant
- Apprentice Funeral Director
- Assistant Funeral Director
- Crematory Operator
- Embalmer Apprentice
- Family Services Assistant (FSA)
- Funeral Assistant
- Funeral Attendant
- Perform a variety of tasks during funerals to assist funeral directors and to ensure that services run smoothly and as planned.
- Greet people at the funeral home.
- Offer assistance to mourners as they enter or exit limousines.
- Close caskets at appropriate point in services.
- Transfer the deceased to funeral homes.
- Obtain burial permits and register deaths.
- Direct or escort mourners to parlors or chapels in which wakes or funerals are being held.
- Place caskets in parlors or chapels prior to wakes or funerals.
- Clean and drive funeral vehicles, such as cars or hearses, in funeral processions.
- Carry flowers to hearses or limousines for transportation to places of interment.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: SRE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Social interests, but also prefer Realistic and Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Independence in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Clerical - Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography and transcription, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2013, the average annual wage in United States was $24,180 with most people making between $17,070 and $34,800
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 31,000 people in United States. It is projected that there will be 32,000 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 16,000 replacement openings for approximately 16,000 total annual openings.
onetChild, Family, and School Social Workers
collegeAmerican River College
majorFuneral Service and Mortuary Science, General
collegeUniversity of California-Los Angeles
collegeCalifornia State University-Los Angeles
onetLocker Room, Coatroom, and Dressing Room Attendants
collegeUniversity of Southern California
majorAirline Flight Attendant