Perform variety of tasks during funeral, such as placing casket in parlor or chapel prior to service; arranging floral offerings or lights around casket; directing or escorting mourners; closing casket; and issuing and storing funeral equipment.
- Undertaker Helper
- Undertaker Assistant
- Property Worker
- Property Man
- Mortician Helper
- Funeral Service Apprentice
- Funeral Home Attendant
- Funeral Home Associate
- Funeral Home Assistant
- Prepare obituaries for newspapers.
- Meet with family members to plan the funeral.
- Obtain doctors' signatures on death certificate and complete other paperwork, such as insurance claims forms.
- Obtain burial permits and register deaths.
- Assist with cremations and the processing and packaging of cremated remains.
- Manage funeral home finances, including receiving payments, making bank deposits, or performing general bookkeeping duties.
- Embalm, dress, cosmeticize, and casket the deceased.
- Provide advice to mourners on how to make charitable donations in honor of the deceased.
- Perform general maintenance tasks for funeral homes, such as maintaining equipment or caring for funeral grounds.
- Issue and store funeral equipment.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: SRE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Social interests, but also prefer Realistic and Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Independence in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2014, the average annual wage in Washington was $26,310 with most people making between $20,100 and $36,670
During 2012, this occupation employed approximately 160 people in Washington. It is projected that there will be 170 employed in 2022.
This occupation will have about 1 openings due to growth and about 9 replacement openings for approximately 10 total annual openings.
onetChild, Family, and School Social Workers
collegeAmerican River College
majorFuneral Service and Mortuary Science, General
collegeUniversity of California-Los Angeles
collegeCalifornia State University-Los Angeles
onetLocker Room, Coatroom, and Dressing Room Attendants
collegeUniversity of Southern California
majorAirline Flight Attendant