Shampoo and rinse customers' hair.
- Maintain treatment records.
- Treat scalp conditions and hair loss, using specialized lotions, shampoos, or equipment such as infrared lamps or vibrating equipment.
- Advise patrons with chronic or potentially contagious scalp conditions to seek medical treatment.
- Massage, shampoo, and condition patron's hair and scalp to clean them and remove excess oil.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: REC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Enterprising and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Achievement in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Chemistry - Knowledge of the chemical composition, structure, and properties of substances and of the chemical processes and transformations that they undergo. This includes uses of chemicals and their interactions, danger signs, production techniques, and disposal methods.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2014, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $19,550 with most people making between $17,480 and $23,060
During 2012, this occupation employed approximately 2,110 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 2,180 employed in 2022.
This occupation will have about 7 openings due to growth and about 13 replacement openings for approximately 20 total annual openings.
majorBusiness Administration and Management, General
majorHair Styling/Stylist and Hair Design
collegeSanta Monica College
onetHairdressers, Hairstylists, and Cosmetologists
onetAthletes and Sports Competitors
onetPolice Patrol Officers
collegeUniversity of Southern California
collegeDelaware County Community College
collegeUniversity of Connecticut
majorHealth and Physical Education/Fitness, General