Handle baggage for travelers at transportation terminals or for guests at hotels or similar establishments.
- Baggage Checker
- Baggage Handler
- Baggage Smasher
- Bell Captain
- Bell Clerk
- Bell Person
- Bell Staff
- Bellhop Captain
- Transfer luggage, trunks, and packages to and from rooms, loading areas, vehicles, or transportation terminals, by hand or using baggage carts.
- Greet incoming guests and escort them to their rooms.
- Receive and mark baggage by completing and attaching claim checks.
- Supply guests or travelers with directions, travel information, and other information such as available services and points of interest.
- Assist physically challenged travelers and other guests with special needs.
- Transport guests about premises and local areas, or arrange for transportation.
- Maintain clean lobbies or entrance areas for travelers or guests.
- Deliver messages and room service orders, and run errands for guests.
- Act as part of the security team at transportation terminals, hotels, or similar establishments.
- Explain the operation of room features such as locks, ventilation systems, and televisions.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Independence in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2013, the average annual wage in United States was $23,660 with most people making between $16,730 and $35,090
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 46,000 people in United States. It is projected that there will be 51,000 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 17,000 replacement openings for approximately 17,000 total annual openings.
collegeCalifornia State University-Long Beach
collegeGolden Gate University-San Francisco
majorCriminal Justice/Police Science
majorAirline Flight Attendant
majorAccounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
collegeSan Diego State University
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
collegeOrange Coast College
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers