Escort individuals or groups on sightseeing tours or through places of interest, such as industrial establishments, public buildings, and art galleries.
- Admitting Office Escort
- Alpine Guide
- Art Museum Aide
- Art Museum Docent
- Discovery Guide
- Education Specialist
- Environmental Educator
- Describe tour points of interest to group members, and respond to questions.
- Escort individuals or groups on cruises, sightseeing tours, or through places of interest such as industrial establishments, public buildings, and art galleries.
- Conduct educational activities for school children.
- Monitor visitors' activities to ensure compliance with establishment or tour regulations and safety practices.
- Provide directions and other pertinent information to visitors.
- Greet and register visitors, and issue any required identification badges or safety devices.
- Distribute brochures, show audiovisual presentations, and explain establishment processes and operations at tour sites.
- Research various topics, including site history, environmental conditions, and clients' skills and abilities to plan appropriate expeditions, instruction, and commentary.
- Select travel routes and sites to be visited based on knowledge of specific areas.
- Drive motor vehicles to transport visitors to establishments and tour site locations.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: SE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Social interests, but also prefer Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Independence in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- History and Archeology - Knowledge of historical events and their causes, indicators, and effects on civilizations and cultures.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2013, the average annual wage in United States was $26,020 with most people making between $17,110 and $37,550
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 34,000 people in United States. It is projected that there will be 41,000 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 19,000 replacement openings for approximately 19,000 total annual openings.
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation
majorAirline Flight Attendant
majorCriminal Justice/Police Science
collegeSan Jose State University
collegeCalifornia College of the Arts
onetChild, Family, and School Social Workers
majorRadio and Television
collegeUniversity of Southern California
collegeCalifornia State University-East Bay