Plan, organize, and conduct long distance travel, tours, and expeditions for individuals and groups.
- Travel Consultant
- Travel Agent
- Tours Hostess
- Tours Captain
- Tour Operator
- Tour Manager
- Tour Guide
- Tour Escort
- Tour Director
- Tour Coordinator
- Explain hunting and fishing laws to groups to ensure compliance.
- Sell or rent equipment, clothing, and supplies related to expeditions.
- Instruct novices in climbing techniques, mountaineering, and wilderness survival, and demonstrate use of hunting, fishing, and climbing equipment.
- Set up camps, and prepare meals for tour group members.
- Pilot airplanes or drive land and water vehicles to transport tourists to activity or tour sites.
- Administer first aid to injured group participants.
- Provide tourists with assistance in obtaining permits and documents such as visas, passports, and health certificates, and in converting currency.
- Give advice on sightseeing and shopping.
- Attend to special needs of tour participants.
- Pay bills and record checks issued.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: EC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Independence and Achievement in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Geography - Knowledge of principles and methods for describing the features of land, sea, and air masses, including their physical characteristics, locations, interrelationships, and distribution of plant, animal, and human life.
- Clerical - Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography and transcription, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Persuasion - Persuading others to change their minds or behavior.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2013, the average annual wage in United States was $37,300 with most people making between $19,600 and $58,720
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 4,000 people in United States. It is projected that there will be 5,000 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 2,000 replacement openings for approximately 2,000 total annual openings.
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation
collegeGolden Gate University-San Francisco
collegeCalifornia State University-Long Beach
onetTour Guides and Escorts
collegeUniversity of California-Berkeley
majorBusiness Administration and Management, General
majorApparel and Accessories Marketing Operations
collegeSan Diego State University
majorTourism and Travel Services Management