Attend to children at schools, businesses, private households, and childcare institutions. Perform a variety of tasks, such as dressing, feeding, bathing, and overseeing play.
- Afterschool Counselor
- Au Pair
- Baby Attendant
- Baby Sitter
- Before and After School Daycare Worker
- Boarding Mother
- Bus Escort
- Maintain a safe play environment.
- Dress children and change diapers.
- Observe and monitor children's play activities.
- Communicate with children's parents or guardians about daily activities, behaviors, and related issues.
- Sanitize toys and play equipment.
- Keep records on individual children, including daily observations and information about activities, meals served, and medications administered.
- Support children's emotional and social development, encouraging understanding of others and positive self-concepts.
- Identify signs of emotional or developmental problems in children and bring them to parents' or guardians' attention.
- Assist in preparing food and serving meals and refreshments to children.
- Instruct children in health and personal habits, such as eating, resting, and toilet habits.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: SA.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Social interests, but also prefer Artistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Independence in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in United States was $21,310.00 with most people making between $16,340.00 and $29,510.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 1,282,000 people in United States. It is projected that there will be 1,544,000 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 26,000 openings due to growth and about 639,000 replacement openings for approximately 665,000 total annual openings.
onetPreschool Teachers, Except Special Education
collegeSan Diego State University
majorKindergarten/Preschool Education and Teaching
collegeCalifornia State University-Los Angeles
majorEarly Childhood Education and Teaching
onetChild, Family, and School Social Workers
collegeLoma Linda University
majorChild Care Provider/Assistant
collegeUniversity of Southern California
onetKindergarten Teachers, Except Special Education