Instruct or coach groups or individuals in exercise activities. Demonstrate techniques and form, observe participants, and explain to them corrective measures necessary to improve their skills.
- Aerobics Instructor
- Aerobic Teacher
- Certified Aquatic Fitness Instructor
- Certified Personal Trainer
- Exercise Specialist
- Exercise Teacher
- Fitness Consultant
- Fitness Coordinator
- Fitness Director
- Organize and conduct competitions and tournaments.
- Advise participants in use of heat or ultraviolet treatments and hot baths.
- Massage body parts to relieve soreness, strains, and bruises.
- Promote health clubs through membership sales, and record member information.
- Conduct therapeutic, recreational, or athletic activities.
- Teach individual and team sports to participants through instruction and demonstration, utilizing knowledge of sports techniques and of participants' physical capabilities.
- Maintain equipment inventories, and select, store, or issue equipment as needed.
- Wrap ankles, fingers, wrists, or other body parts with synthetic skin, gauze, or adhesive tape, to support muscles and ligaments.
- Organize, lead, and referee indoor and outdoor games such as volleyball, baseball, and basketball.
- Plan physical education programs to promote development of participants' physical attributes and social skills.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: SRE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Social interests, but also prefer Realistic and Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Achievement and Independence in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Sociology and Anthropology - Knowledge of group behavior and dynamics, societal trends and influences, human migrations, ethnicity, cultures and their history and origins.
- Instructing - Teaching others how to do something.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Learning Strategies - Selecting and using training/instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new things.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2012, the average annual wage in Washington was $41,570 with most people making between $20,230 and $69,320
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 7,720 people in Washington. It is projected that there will be 9,370 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have about 165 openings due to growth and about 155 replacement openings for approximately 320 total annual openings.
collegeSan Diego State University
onetAthletes and Sports Competitors
collegeUniversity of Southern California
majorPhysical Education Teaching and Coaching
majorPhysical Fitness Technician
majorSport and Fitness Administration/Management
onetCoaches and Scouts
majorHealth and Physical Education/Fitness, General