Instruct or coach groups or individuals in exercise activities. Demonstrate techniques and form, observe participants, and explain to them corrective measures necessary to improve their skills.
- Yoga Teacher
- Yoga Instructor
- Wellness Coach
- Weight Training Instructor
- Weight Trainer
- Water Aerobics Instructor
- Sports Instructor
- Pilates Instructor
- Physical Instructor
- Physical Fitness Trainer
- Organize, lead, and referee indoor and outdoor games such as volleyball, baseball, and basketball.
- Organize and conduct competitions and tournaments.
- Massage body parts to relieve soreness, strains, and bruises.
- Advise participants in use of heat or ultraviolet treatments and hot baths.
- Promote health clubs through membership sales, and record member information.
- Maintain equipment inventories, and select, store, or issue equipment as needed.
- Plan physical education programs to promote development of participants' physical attributes and social skills.
- Teach individual and team sports to participants through instruction and demonstration, utilizing knowledge of sports techniques and of participants' physical capabilities.
- Advise clients about proper clothing and shoes.
- Maintain fitness equipment.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: SRE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Social interests, but also prefer Realistic and Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Achievement and Independence in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Biology - Knowledge of plant and animal organisms, their tissues, cells, functions, interdependencies, and interactions with each other and the environment.
- Instructing - Teaching others how to do something.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2013, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $48,060 with most people making between $22,180 and $75,230
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 13,300 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 16,200 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have about 295 openings due to growth and about 235 replacement openings for approximately 530 total annual openings.
collegeSan Diego State University
onetAthletes and Sports Competitors
collegeUniversity of Southern California
majorPhysical Education Teaching and Coaching
majorPhysical Fitness Technician
majorSport and Fitness Administration/Management
onetCoaches and Scouts
majorHealth and Physical Education/Fitness, General