Coordinate activities in residential facilities in secondary and college dormitories, group homes, or similar establishments. Order supplies and determine need for maintenance, repairs, and furnishings. May maintain household records and assign rooms. May assist residents with problem solving or refer them to counseling resources.
- Area Coordinator
- Area Director
- Assistant Dean of Students
- Assistant Director of Residence Life
- Assistant Director of Student Activities and Housing
- Assistant Hall Director
- Associate Dean of Students
- Associate Dean of Women
- Community Educator
- Coordinator for Fraternity and Sorority Life
- Enforce rules and regulations to ensure the smooth and orderly operation of dormitory programs.
- Provide emergency first aid and summon medical assistance when necessary.
- Mediate interpersonal problems between residents.
- Make regular rounds to ensure that residents and areas are safe and secure.
- Observe students to detect and report unusual behavior.
- Communicate with other staff to resolve problems with individual students.
- Counsel students in the handling of issues such as family, financial, and educational problems.
- Collaborate with counselors to develop counseling programs that address the needs of individual students.
- Develop and coordinate educational programs for residents.
- Develop program plans for individuals or assist in plan development.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: SEC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Social interests, but also prefer Enterprising and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Independence in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Therapy and Counseling - Knowledge of principles, methods, and procedures for diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation of physical and mental dysfunctions, and for career counseling and guidance.
- Sociology and Anthropology - Knowledge of group behavior and dynamics, societal trends and influences, human migrations, ethnicity, cultures and their history and origins.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Negotiation - Bringing others together and trying to reconcile differences.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2013, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $30,030 with most people making between $20,470 and $44,880
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 300 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 300 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have approximately 10 job openings annually.
- Park Naturalists
- Urban and Regional Planners
- Substance Abuse and Behavioral Disorder Counselors
- Mental Health Counselors
- Healthcare Social Workers
- Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Workers
- Probation Officers and Correctional Treatment Specialists
- Social and Human Service Assistants
- Directors, Religious Activities and Education
- Psychiatric Aides
- Fish and Game Wardens
- Cooks, Restaurant
- Animal Trainers
- Personal Care Aides
collegeSan Diego State University
majorHuman Services, General
collegeCalifornia College of the Arts
onetChild, Family, and School Social Workers
majorChild Care Provider/Assistant
onetSocial and Human Service Assistants
collegeCalifornia State University-Long Beach
onetProbation Officers and Correctional Treatment Specialists
majorAirline Flight Attendant
collegeSan Francisco State University