Coordinate activities in residential facilities in secondary and college dormitories, group homes, or similar establishments. Order supplies and determine need for maintenance, repairs, and furnishings. May maintain household records and assign rooms. May assist residents with problem solving or refer them to counseling resources.
- Inventory, pack, and remove items left behind by former residents.
- Sort and distribute mail.
- Accompany and supervise students during meals.
- Direct and participate in on- and off-campus recreational activities for residents of institutions, boarding schools, fraternities or sororities, children's homes, or similar establishments.
- Assign rooms to students.
- Order supplies for facilities.
- Provide transportation or escort for expeditions such as shopping trips or visits to doctors or dentists.
- Process contract cancellations for students who are unable to follow residence hall policies and procedures.
- Chaperone group-sponsored trips and social functions.
- Compile information such as residents' daily activities and the quantities of supplies used to prepare required reports.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: SEC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Social interests, but also prefer Enterprising and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Independence in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Therapy and Counseling - Knowledge of principles, methods, and procedures for diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation of physical and mental dysfunctions, and for career counseling and guidance.
- Sociology and Anthropology - Knowledge of group behavior and dynamics, societal trends and influences, human migrations, ethnicity, cultures and their history and origins.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Negotiation - Bringing others together and trying to reconcile differences.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2014, the average annual wage in United States was $26,560 with most people making between $17,480 and $38,570
During 2012, this occupation employed approximately 89,700 people in United States. It is projected that there will be 108,200 employed in 2022.
This occupation will have about 1,850 openings due to growth and about 3,880 replacement openings for approximately 5,730 total annual openings.
- Park Naturalists
- Urban and Regional Planners
- Substance Abuse and Behavioral Disorder Counselors
- Mental Health Counselors
- Healthcare Social Workers
- Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Workers
- Probation Officers and Correctional Treatment Specialists
- Social and Human Service Assistants
- Directors, Religious Activities and Education
- Psychiatric Aides
- Fish and Game Wardens
- Cooks, Restaurant
- Animal Trainers
- Personal Care Aides
collegeSan Diego State University
majorHuman Services, General
collegeCalifornia College of the Arts
onetChild, Family, and School Social Workers
majorChild Care Provider/Assistant
onetSocial and Human Service Assistants
collegeCalifornia State University-Long Beach
onetProbation Officers and Correctional Treatment Specialists
majorAirline Flight Attendant
collegeSan Francisco State University