Directly supervise and coordinate activities of retail sales workers in an establishment or department. Duties may include management functions, such as purchasing, budgeting, accounting, and personnel work, in addition to supervisory duties.
- Antique Collector
- Antique Dealer
- Area Supervisor
- Art Dealer
- Art Gallery Director
- Assistant Manager
- Assistant Manager Retail
- Assistant Store Manager
- Auto Dealer
- Plan and coordinate advertising campaigns and sales promotions, and prepare merchandise displays and advertising copy.
- Keep records of purchases, sales, and requisitions.
- Establish credit policies and operating procedures.
- Formulate pricing policies for merchandise, according to profitability requirements.
- Estimate consumer demand and determine the types and amounts of goods to be sold.
- Confer with company officials to develop methods and procedures to increase sales, expand markets, and promote business.
- Establish and implement policies, goals, objectives, and procedures for their department.
- Examine products purchased for resale or received for storage to assess the condition of each product or item.
- Review inventory and sales records to prepare reports for management and budget departments.
- Plan and prepare work schedules and keep records of employees' work schedules and time cards.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ECS.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Conventional and Social environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Relationships and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in Washington was $44,730 with most people making between $25,900 and $66,510
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 33,030 people in Washington. It is projected that there will be 34,580 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have about 156 openings due to growth and about 714 replacement openings for approximately 870 total annual openings.
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Office and Administrative Support Workers
majorBusiness Administration and Management, General
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
majorConsumer Merchandising/Retailing Management
collegeLong Beach City College
majorRetailing and Retail Operations
collegeLos Angeles Trade Technical College
collegeSanta Clara University
collegeFashion Institute of Technology