Sell spare and replacement parts and equipment in repair shop or parts store.
- Appliance Parts Counter Clerk
- Auto Parts Clerk
- Auto Parts Counterperson
- Auto Parts Salesman
- Auto Parts Salesperson
- Counter Clerk
- Counter Sales Person
- Electronic Parts Salesperson
- Merchandising Assistant
- Outside Parts Salesman
- Read catalogs, microfiche viewers, or computer displays in order to determine replacement part stock numbers and prices.
- Determine replacement parts required, according to inspections of old parts, customer requests, or customers' descriptions of malfunctions.
- Receive and fill telephone orders for parts.
- Fill customer orders from stock.
- Prepare sales slips or sales contracts.
- Receive payment or obtain credit authorization.
- Take inventory of stock.
- Advise customers on substitution or modification of parts when identical replacements are not available.
- Examine returned parts for defects, and exchange defective parts or refund money.
- Mark and store parts in stockrooms according to prearranged systems.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ECR.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Conventional and Realistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Independence and Support in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Persuasion - Persuading others to change their minds or behavior.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in Washington was $33,250.00 with most people making between $20,720.00 and $47,890.00
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 5,960 people in Washington. It is projected that there will be 6,000 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have about 4 openings due to growth and about 216 replacement openings for approximately 220 total annual openings.
- Buyers and Purchasing Agents, Farm Products
- Wholesale and Retail Buyers, Except Farm Products
- Farm Labor Contractors
- First-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
- Hosts and Hostesses, Restaurant, Lounge, and Coffee Shop
- Retail Salespersons
- Demonstrators and Product Promoters
- Reservation and Transportation Ticket Agents and Travel Clerks
- Cargo and Freight Agents
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
majorComputer Engineering, General
collegePacific Union College
majorVehicle and Vehicle Parts and Accessories Marketing Operations
majorRadio and Television
collegeCalifornia State University-Fullerton
collegeCalifornia State University-Northridge