Sell spare and replacement parts and equipment in repair shop or parts store.
- Appliance Parts Counter Clerk
- Auto Parts Clerk
- Auto Parts Counterperson
- Auto Parts Salesman
- Auto Parts Salesperson
- Counter Clerk
- Counter Sales Person
- Electronic Parts Salesperson
- Merchandising Assistant
- Outside Parts Salesman
- Read catalogs, microfiche viewers, or computer displays to determine replacement part stock numbers and prices.
- Determine replacement parts required, according to inspections of old parts, customer requests, or customers' descriptions of malfunctions.
- Receive and fill telephone orders for parts.
- Fill customer orders from stock.
- Prepare sales slips or sales contracts.
- Receive payment or obtain credit authorization.
- Take inventory of stock.
- Advise customers on substitution or modification of parts when identical replacements are not available.
- Examine returned parts for defects, and exchange defective parts or refund money.
- Mark and store parts in stockrooms according to prearranged systems.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ECR.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Conventional and Realistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Independence and Support in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Persuasion - Persuading others to change their minds or behavior.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2013, the average annual wage in United States was $32,290 with most people making between $18,570 and $50,430
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 203,000 people in United States. It is projected that there will be 236,000 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 3,000 openings due to growth and about 104,000 replacement openings for approximately 107,000 total annual openings.
- Public Address System and Other Announcers
- Waiters and Waitresses
- Gaming Dealers
- Gaming and Sports Book Writers and Runners
- Counter and Rental Clerks
- Sales Representatives, Wholesale and Manufacturing, Technical and Scientific Products
- Sales Engineers
- Stock Clerks, Sales Floor
- Automotive and Watercraft Service Attendants
collegeModesto Junior College
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
majorSelling Skills and Sales Operations
collegePacific Union College
majorBusiness Administration and Management, General
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
collegeCalifornia State University-Stanislaus
collegeCalifornia State University-Northridge