Sell or solicit advertising space, time, or media in publications, signage, TV, radio, or the Internet. Includes individuals who obtain leases for outdoor advertising sites or persuade retailers to use sales promotion display items.
- Yellow Pages Space Salesperson
- Time Buyer
- Time Broker
- Space Buyer
- Site Promotion Agent
- Site Leasing Agent
- Signs Sales Representative
- Signs and Displays Salesperson
- Signs and Displays Sales Representative
- Write sales outlines for use by staff.
- Arrange for commercial taping sessions, and accompany clients to sessions.
- Gather all relevant material for bid processes, and coordinate bidding and contract approval.
- Attend sales meetings, industry trade shows, and training seminars to gather information, promote products, expand network of contacts, and increase knowledge.
- Determine advertising medium to be used, and prepare sample advertisements within the selected medium for presentation to customers.
- Identify new advertising markets, and propose products to serve them.
- Consult with company officials, sales departments, and advertising agencies to develop promotional plans.
- Write copy as part of layout.
- Obtain and study information about clients' products, needs, problems, advertising history, and business practices to offer effective sales presentations and appropriate product assistance.
- Draw up contracts for advertising work, and collect payments due.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ECA.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Conventional and Artistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Working Conditions and Independence in their jobs.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Communications and Media - Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- Clerical - Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography and transcription, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Persuasion - Persuading others to change their minds or behavior.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Negotiation - Bringing others together and trying to reconcile differences.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2014, the average annual wage in United States was $60,910 with most people making between $23,050 and $113,120
During 2012, this occupation employed approximately 154,600 people in United States. It is projected that there will be 153,600 employed in 2022.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 4,750 replacement openings for approximately 4,750 total annual openings.
- Talent Directors
- Radio and Television Announcers
- Public Relations Specialists
- Copy Writers
- Insurance Sales Agents
- Sales Representatives, Wholesale and Manufacturing, Technical and Scientific Products
- Demonstrators and Product Promoters
- Real Estate Sales Agents
- Door-To-Door Sales Workers, News and Street Vendors, and Related Workers
- Driver/Sales Workers
onetAdvertising and Promotions Managers
collegeUniversity of Southern California
majorMarketing/Marketing Management, General
onetAgents and Business Managers of Artists, Performers, and Athletes
collegeUniversity of California-Los Angeles
collegeUniversity of California-Berkeley
onetRadio and Television Announcers
majorSelling Skills and Sales Operations
majorBusiness Administration and Management, General