Sell or solicit advertising space, time, or media in publications, signage, TV, radio, or the Internet. Includes individuals who obtain leases for outdoor advertising sites or persuade retailers to use sales promotion display items.
- Account Executive
- Account Leader
- Account Manager
- Account Specialist
- Advertising Account Executive
- Advertising Account Representative
- Advertising Agent
- Advertising Consultant
- Advertising Director
- Advertising Representative
- Maintain assigned account bases while developing new accounts.
- Explain to customers how specific types of advertising will help promote their products or services in the most effective way possible.
- Provide clients with estimates of the costs of advertising products or services.
- Locate and contact potential clients to offer advertising services.
- Process all correspondence and paperwork related to accounts.
- Prepare and deliver sales presentations to new and existing customers to sell new advertising programs, and to protect and increase existing advertising.
- Inform customers of available options for advertisement artwork, and provide samples.
- Deliver advertising or illustration proofs to customers for approval.
- Prepare promotional plans, sales literature, media kits, and sales contracts, using computer.
- Recommend appropriate sizes and formats for advertising, depending on medium being used.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ECA.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Conventional and Artistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Working Conditions and Independence in their jobs.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Communications and Media - Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- Clerical - Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography and transcription, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Persuasion - Persuading others to change their minds or behavior.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Negotiation - Bringing others together and trying to reconcile differences.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2013, the average annual wage in United States was $57,440 with most people making between $22,240 and $106,200
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 160,000 people in United States. It is projected that there will be 181,000 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 2,000 openings due to growth and about 67,000 replacement openings for approximately 69,000 total annual openings.
- Talent Directors
- Radio and Television Announcers
- Public Relations Specialists
- Copy Writers
- Insurance Sales Agents
- Sales Representatives, Wholesale and Manufacturing, Technical and Scientific Products
- Demonstrators and Product Promoters
- Real Estate Sales Agents
- Door-To-Door Sales Workers, News and Street Vendors, and Related Workers
- Driver/Sales Workers
onetAdvertising and Promotions Managers
collegeUniversity of Southern California
majorMarketing/Marketing Management, General
onetAgents and Business Managers of Artists, Performers, and Athletes
collegeUniversity of California-Los Angeles
collegeUniversity of California-Berkeley
onetRadio and Television Announcers
majorSelling Skills and Sales Operations
majorBusiness Administration and Management, General