Sell goods for wholesalers or manufacturers where technical or scientific knowledge is required in such areas as biology, engineering, chemistry, and electronics, normally obtained from at least 2 years of post-secondary education.
- Abrasives Sales Representative
- Account Development Manager
- Account Executive
- Account Leader
- Account Manager
- Accounts Executive
- Agricultural Sales Representative
- Aircraft Equipment and Parts Sales Representative
- Aircraft Sales Representative
- Animal Feed Products Sales Representative
- Sell technical and scientific products that are environmentally sound or designed for environmental remediation.
- Research and convey information to customers about tax benefits or government rebates associated with energy-efficient scientific or technical products, such as solar panels.
- Present information to customers about the energy efficiency or environmental impact of scientific or technical products.
- Inform customers about issues related to responsible use and disposal of products, such as waste reduction or product or byproduct recycling or disposal.
- Review existing machinery/equipment placement, and create diagrams to illustrate efficient space utilization, using standard measuring devices and templates.
- Train establishment personnel in equipment use.
- Visit establishments, such as pharmacies, to determine product sales.
- Obtain building blueprints or specifications for use by engineering departments in bid preparations.
- Stock or distribute resources, such as samples or promotional or educational materials.
- Advise customers regarding office layouts, legal and insurance regulations, cost analyses, and collection methods.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: EC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Achievement and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Persuasion - Persuading others to change their minds or behavior.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Negotiation - Bringing others together and trying to reconcile differences.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2012, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $96,130 with most people making between $49,110 and $153,770
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 14,150 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 14,100 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 330 replacement openings for approximately 330 total annual openings.
- Wholesale and Retail Buyers, Except Farm Products
- Market Research Analysts and Marketing Specialists
- Public Relations Specialists
- Copy Writers
- Parts Salespersons
- Retail Salespersons
- Advertising Sales Agents
- Insurance Sales Agents
- Sales Agents, Financial Services
- Sales Representatives, Wholesale and Manufacturing, Except Technical and Scientific Products
- Demonstrators and Product Promoters
- Real Estate Sales Agents
- Sales Engineers
- Door-To-Door Sales Workers, News and Street Vendors, and Related Workers
- Driver/Sales Workers
collegeWest Valley College
majorSelling Skills and Sales Operations
majorMarketing/Marketing Management, General
collegeUniversity of Southern California
onetSales Representatives, Wholesale and Manufacturing, Except Technical and Scientific Products
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
majorSales, Distribution, and Marketing Operations, General
majorBusiness Administration and Management, General