Sell goods for wholesalers or manufacturers where technical or scientific knowledge is required in such areas as biology, engineering, chemistry, and electronics, normally obtained from at least 2 years of post-secondary education.
- Wire Rope Sales Representative
- Wholesale Ultrasonic Equipment Salesperson
- Welding Equipment Sales Representative
- Weighing and Force Measurement Instruments Sales Representative
- Water Treatment Chemicals Sales Representative
- Veterinarian Supplies Sales Representative
- Utility Sales Representative
- Ultrasonic Equipment Sales Representative
- Textile Machinery Sales Representative
- Technical Service Representative
- Research and convey information to customers about tax benefits or government rebates associated with energy-efficient scientific or technical products, such as solar panels.
- Inform customers about issues related to responsible use and disposal of products, such as waste reduction or product or byproduct recycling or disposal.
- Present information to customers about the energy efficiency or environmental impact of scientific or technical products.
- Visit establishments, such as pharmacies, to determine product sales.
- Sell technical and scientific products that are environmentally sound or designed for environmental remediation.
- Consult with engineers regarding technical problems with products.
- Appraise equipment to determine contract terms or trade-in values.
- Verify customer credit ratings.
- Verify accuracy of materials lists.
- Obtain building blueprints or specifications for use by engineering departments in bid preparations.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: EC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Achievement and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Persuasion - Persuading others to change their minds or behavior.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Negotiation - Bringing others together and trying to reconcile differences.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2014, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $108,930
During 2012, this occupation employed approximately 12,270 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 13,150 employed in 2022.
This occupation will have about 88 openings due to growth and about 242 replacement openings for approximately 330 total annual openings.
- Wholesale and Retail Buyers, Except Farm Products
- Market Research Analysts and Marketing Specialists
- Public Relations Specialists
- Copy Writers
- Parts Salespersons
- Retail Salespersons
- Advertising Sales Agents
- Insurance Sales Agents
- Sales Agents, Financial Services
- Sales Representatives, Wholesale and Manufacturing, Except Technical and Scientific Products
- Demonstrators and Product Promoters
- Real Estate Sales Agents
- Sales Engineers
- Door-To-Door Sales Workers, News and Street Vendors, and Related Workers
- Driver/Sales Workers
collegeWest Valley College
majorSelling Skills and Sales Operations
majorMarketing/Marketing Management, General
collegeUniversity of Southern California
onetSales Representatives, Wholesale and Manufacturing, Except Technical and Scientific Products
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
majorSales, Distribution, and Marketing Operations, General
majorBusiness Administration and Management, General