Sell goods for wholesalers or manufacturers where technical or scientific knowledge is required in such areas as biology, engineering, chemistry, and electronics, normally obtained from at least 2 years of post-secondary education.
- Abrasives Sales Representative
- Account Development Manager
- Account Executive
- Account Leader
- Account Manager
- Accounts Executive
- Agricultural Sales Representative
- Aircraft Equipment and Parts Sales Representative
- Aircraft Sales Representative
- Animal Feed Products Sales Representative
- Contact new and existing customers to discuss their needs, and to explain how these needs could be met by specific products and services.
- Answer customers' questions about products, prices, availability, or credit terms.
- Quote prices, credit terms, or other bid specifications.
- Emphasize product features based on analyses of customers' needs and on technical knowledge of product capabilities and limitations.
- Negotiate prices or terms of sales or service agreements.
- Maintain customer records, using automated systems.
- Identify prospective customers by using business directories, following leads from existing clients, participating in organizations and clubs, and attending trade shows and conferences.
- Prepare sales contracts for orders obtained, and submit orders for processing.
- Select the correct products or assist customers in making product selections, based on customers' needs, product specifications, and applicable regulations.
- Collaborate with colleagues to exchange information, such as selling strategies or marketing information.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: EC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Achievement and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Persuasion - Persuading others to change their minds or behavior.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Negotiation - Bringing others together and trying to reconcile differences.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2013, the average annual wage in United States was $85,610 with most people making between $37,300 and $145,730
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 400,000 people in United States. It is projected that there will be 465,000 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 6,000 openings due to growth and about 153,000 replacement openings for approximately 159,000 total annual openings.
- Wholesale and Retail Buyers, Except Farm Products
- Market Research Analysts and Marketing Specialists
- Public Relations Specialists
- Copy Writers
- Parts Salespersons
- Retail Salespersons
- Advertising Sales Agents
- Insurance Sales Agents
- Sales Agents, Financial Services
- Sales Representatives, Wholesale and Manufacturing, Except Technical and Scientific Products
- Demonstrators and Product Promoters
- Real Estate Sales Agents
- Sales Engineers
- Door-To-Door Sales Workers, News and Street Vendors, and Related Workers
- Driver/Sales Workers
collegeWest Valley College
majorSelling Skills and Sales Operations
majorMarketing/Marketing Management, General
collegeUniversity of Southern California
onetSales Representatives, Wholesale and Manufacturing, Except Technical and Scientific Products
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
majorSales, Distribution, and Marketing Operations, General
majorBusiness Administration and Management, General