Solicit donations or orders for goods or services over the telephone.
- Appointment Setter
- Busines Development Representative
- Call Center Agent
- Call Center Operator
- Call Center Representative
- Customer Service Representative (CSR)
- Donation Worker
- Inbound Telemarketer
- Inside Sales Representative
- Outbound Telemarketer
- Deliver prepared sales talks, reading from scripts that describe products or services, in order to persuade potential customers to purchase a product or service or to make a donation.
- Contact businesses or private individuals by telephone in order to solicit sales for goods or services, or to request donations for charitable causes.
- Explain products or services and prices, and answer questions from customers.
- Obtain customer information such as name, address, and payment method, and enter orders into computers.
- Record names, addresses, purchases, and reactions of prospects contacted.
- Adjust sales scripts to better target the needs and interests of specific individuals.
- Obtain names and telephone numbers of potential customers from sources such as telephone directories, magazine reply cards, and lists purchased from other organizations.
- Answer telephone calls from potential customers who have been solicited through advertisements.
- Telephone or write letters to respond to correspondence from customers or to follow up initial sales contacts.
- Maintain records of contacts, accounts, and orders.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: EC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Achievement in their jobs.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Telecommunications - Knowledge of transmission, broadcasting, switching, control, and operation of telecommunications systems.
- Communications and Media - Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Persuasion - Persuading others to change their minds or behavior.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in Washington was $24,920.00 with most people making between $19,350.00 and $31,830.00
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 6,610 people in Washington. It is projected that there will be 7,880 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have about 127 openings due to growth and about 173 replacement openings for approximately 300 total annual openings.
majorMarketing/Marketing Management, General
majorBusiness Administration and Management, General
majorRadio and Television
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
collegeLoma Linda University
collegeCosumnes River College
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
collegeMt. San Antonio College