Solicit donations or orders for goods or services over the telephone.
- Telesales Specialist
- Telesales Representative
- Telephone Solicitor
- Telephone Service Representative (TSR)
- Telephone Sales Representative (TSR)
- Telemarketing Sales Representative
- Telemarketing Representative
- Scheduling Agent
- Conduct client or market surveys to obtain information about potential customers.
- Schedule appointments for sales representatives to meet with prospective customers or for customers to attend sales presentations.
- Maintain records of contacts, accounts, and orders.
- Telephone or write letters to respond to correspondence from customers or to follow up initial sales contacts.
- Answer telephone calls from potential customers who have been solicited through advertisements.
- Obtain names and telephone numbers of potential customers from sources such as telephone directories, magazine reply cards, and lists purchased from other organizations.
- Adjust sales scripts to better target the needs and interests of specific individuals.
- Record names, addresses, purchases, and reactions of prospects contacted.
- Obtain customer information such as name, address, and payment method, and enter orders into computers.
- Explain products or services and prices, and answer questions from customers.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: EC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Achievement in their jobs.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Telecommunications - Knowledge of transmission, broadcasting, switching, control, and operation of telecommunications systems.
- Communications and Media - Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Persuasion - Persuading others to change their minds or behavior.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2013, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $26,440 with most people making between $17,610 and $38,510
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 8,400 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 7,000 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 210 replacement openings for approximately 210 total annual openings.
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
majorBusiness Administration and Management, General
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
majorAccounting and Finance
collegeLoma Linda University
collegeCosumnes River College
collegeMt San Antonio College
majorRadio and Television