Prepare and distribute bank statements to customers, answer inquiries, and reconcile discrepancies in records and accounts.
- Account Analyst
- Accounting Clerk
- Accounts Payable Specialist
- Accounts Receivable Clerk
- Bookkeeping Clerk
- Bookkeeping Supervisor
- Check Totaler
- Data Entry Clerk
- Data Processor
- Encode and cancel checks, using bank machines.
- Take orders for imprinted checks.
- Compare previously prepared bank statements with canceled checks and reconcile discrepancies.
- Verify signatures and required information on checks.
- Post stop-payment notices to prevent payment of protested checks.
- Maintain files of canceled checks and customers' signatures.
- Match statements with batches of canceled checks by account numbers.
- Weigh envelopes containing statements to determine correct postage and affix postage, using stamps or metering equipment.
- Load machines with statements, cancelled checks, or envelopes to prepare statements for distribution to customers or stuff envelopes by hand.
- Retrieve checks returned to customers in error, adjusting customer accounts and answering inquiries about errors as necessary.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: CES.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Conventional interests, but also prefer Enterprising and Social environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Clerical - Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography and transcription, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Economics and Accounting - Knowledge of economic and accounting principles and practices, the financial markets, banking and the analysis and reporting of financial data.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in United States was $34,540.00 with most people making between $23,380.00 and $47,460.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 504,000 people in United States. It is projected that there will be 604,000 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 9,000 openings due to growth and about 178,000 replacement openings for approximately 187,000 total annual openings.
onetOffice Clerks, General
collegeCharles A. Jones Career and Education Center
majorGeneral Office Occupations and Clerical Services
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
collegeAbram Friedman Occupational Center
onetCustomer Service Representatives
majorMedical Administrative/Executive Assistant and Medical Secretary
collegeFresno City College
majorAdministrative Assistant and Secretarial Science, General