Compile data, compute fees and charges, and prepare invoices for billing purposes. Duties include computing costs and calculating rates for goods, services, and shipment of goods; posting data; and keeping other relevant records. May involve use of computer or typewriter, calculator, and adding and bookkeeping machines.
- Accounting Assistant
- Accounting Clerk
- Accounts Manager
- Accounts Payable Clerk
- Accounts Payable Specialist
- Accounts Receivable Clerk
- Accounts Receivable Specialist
- Administrative Assistant
- Bill Checker
- Verify accuracy of billing data and revise any errors.
- Operate typing, adding, calculating, or billing machines.
- Prepare itemized statements, bills, or invoices and record amounts due for items purchased or services rendered.
- Review documents such as purchase orders, sales tickets, charge slips, or hospital records to compute fees or charges due.
- Perform bookkeeping work, including posting data or keeping other records concerning costs of goods or services or the shipment of goods.
- Keep records of invoices and support documents.
- Resolve discrepancies in accounting records.
- Type billing documents, shipping labels, credit memorandums, or credit forms, using typewriters or computers.
- Contact customers to obtain or relay account information.
- Compute credit terms, discounts, shipment charges, or rates for goods or services to complete billing documents.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: CE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Conventional interests, but also prefer Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Independence in their jobs.
- Clerical - Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography and transcription, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2012, the average annual wage in Washington was $37,800.00 with most people making between $26,430.00 and $49,610.00
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 11,840 people in Washington. It is projected that there will be 13,940 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have about 210 openings due to growth and about 210 replacement openings for approximately 420 total annual openings.
majorMedical Insurance Specialist/Medical Biller
majorAccounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping
onetMedical Records and Health Information Technicians
collegeSan Diego Mesa College
majorGeneral Office Occupations and Clerical Services
onetBookkeeping, Accounting, and Auditing Clerks
onetOffice Clerks, General
collegeVentura Adult and Continuing Education