Compile data, compute fees and charges, and prepare invoices for billing purposes. Duties include computing costs and calculating rates for goods, services, and shipment of goods; posting data; and keeping other relevant records. May involve use of computer or typewriter, calculator, and adding and bookkeeping machines.
- Yard Demurrage Clerk
- Voucher Clerk
- Traffic Rate Computer
- Traffic Rate Clerk
- Tonnage Compilation Clerk
- Toll Ticket Clerk
- Toll Settlement Clerk
- Telegraph Service Rater
- Tax Clerk
- Estimate market value of products or services.
- Compile reports of cost factors, such as labor, production, storage, or equipment.
- Review compiled data on operating costs and revenues to set rates.
- Compute credit terms, discounts, shipment charges, or rates for goods or services to complete billing documents.
- Track accumulated hours and dollar amounts charged to each client job to calculate client fees for professional services, such as legal or accounting services.
- Update manuals when rates, rules, or regulations are amended.
- Consult sources such as rate books, manuals, or insurance company representatives to determine specific charges or information such as rules, regulations, or government tax and tariff information.
- Keep records of invoices and support documents.
- Review documents such as purchase orders, sales tickets, charge slips, or hospital records to compute fees or charges due.
- Contact customers to obtain or relay account information.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: CE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Conventional interests, but also prefer Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Independence in their jobs.
- Clerical - Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography and transcription, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Economics and Accounting - Knowledge of economic and accounting principles and practices, the financial markets, banking and the analysis and reporting of financial data.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2014, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $39,380 with most people making between $27,880 and $53,660
During 2012, this occupation employed approximately 20,510 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 23,550 employed in 2022.
This occupation will have about 304 openings due to growth and about 376 replacement openings for approximately 680 total annual openings.
onetBookkeeping, Accounting, and Auditing Clerks
onetOffice Clerks, General
majorAccounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping
majorBusiness Administration and Management, General
onetMedical Records and Health Information Technicians
majorBanking and Financial Support Services
collegeCity College of San Francisco