Compute, classify, and record numerical data to keep financial records complete. Perform any combination of routine calculating, posting, and verifying duties to obtain primary financial data for use in maintaining accounting records. May also check the accuracy of figures, calculations, and postings pertaining to business transactions recorded by other workers.
- Account Administrator
- Accountant Assistant
- Accountant Clerk
- Accountant Helper
- Account Clerk
- Account Information Clerk
- Accounting Analyst
- Accounting Assistant
- Accounting Associate
- Maintain inventory records.
- Compile budget data and documents, based on estimated revenues and expenses and previous budgets.
- Calculate costs of materials, overhead and other expenses, based on estimates, quotations and price lists.
- Perform financial calculations such as amounts due, interest charges, balances, discounts, equity, and principal.
- Monitor status of loans and accounts to ensure that payments are up to date.
- Prepare purchase orders and expense reports.
- Complete and submit tax forms and returns, workers' compensation forms, pension contribution forms, and other government documents.
- Transfer details from separate journals to general ledgers or data processing sheets.
- Reconcile records of bank transactions.
- Compare computer printouts to manually maintained journals to determine if they match.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: CE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Conventional interests, but also prefer Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Achievement in their jobs.
- Clerical - Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography and transcription, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Economics and Accounting - Knowledge of economic and accounting principles and practices, the financial markets, banking and the analysis and reporting of financial data.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Mathematics - Using mathematics to solve problems.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2012, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $41,290 with most people making between $25,890 and $58,630
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 60,500 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 61,900 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have about 140 openings due to growth and about 730 replacement openings for approximately 870 total annual openings.
onetMedical Records and Health Information Technicians
majorAccounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping
majorAccounting and Finance
collegeUniversity of Southern California
majorBusiness Administration and Management, General
collegeUniversity of California-Merced
collegeUniversity of California-Berkeley
onetOffice Clerks, General
onetPayroll and Timekeeping Clerks