Compile and record employee time and payroll data. May compute employees' time worked, production, and commission. May compute and post wages and deductions, or prepare paychecks.
- Account Clerk
- Accounting Assistant
- Accounting Clerk
- Accounting Specialist
- Accounting Technician
- Attendance Clerk
- Bonus Clerk
- Coordinate special programs, such as United Way campaigns, that involve payroll deductions.
- Post relevant work hours to client files to bill clients properly.
- Complete, verify, and process forms and documentation for administration of benefits such as pension plans, and unemployment and medical insurance.
- Prepare and balance period-end reports, and reconcile issued payrolls to bank statements.
- Complete time sheets showing employees' arrival and departure times.
- Conduct verifications of employment.
- Compile statistical reports, statements, and summaries related to pay and benefits accounts, and submit them to appropriate departments.
- Keep informed about changes in tax and deduction laws that apply to the payroll process.
- Provide information to employees and managers on payroll matters, tax issues, benefit plans, and collective agreement provisions.
- Issue and record adjustments to pay related to previous errors or retroactive increases.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: CE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Conventional interests, but also prefer Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Achievement in their jobs.
- Clerical - Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography and transcription, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
- Personnel and Human Resources - Knowledge of principles and procedures for personnel recruitment, selection, training, compensation and benefits, labor relations and negotiation, and personnel information systems.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2013, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $43,590 with most people making between $26,100 and $60,580
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 4,500 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 3,900 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 110 replacement openings for approximately 110 total annual openings.
onetBookkeeping, Accounting, and Auditing Clerks
collegeUniversity of California-Merced
majorAccounting and Finance
majorAccounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping
onetOffice Clerks, General
collegeCalifornia State University-Los Angeles
majorBusiness Administration and Management, General
onetMedical Records and Health Information Technicians
collegeCalifornia State Polytechnic University-Pomona
collegeUniversity of California-Berkeley