Compile and record employee time and payroll data. May compute employees' time worked, production, and commission. May compute and post wages and deductions, or prepare paychecks.
- Account Clerk
- Accounting Assistant
- Accounting Clerk
- Accounting Specialist
- Accounting Technician
- Attendance Clerk
- Bonus Clerk
- Review time sheets, work charts, wage computation, and other information to detect and reconcile payroll discrepancies.
- Process paperwork for new employees and enter employee information into the payroll system.
- Verify attendance, hours worked, and pay adjustments, and post information onto designated records.
- Compute wages and deductions, and enter data into computers.
- Record employee information, such as exemptions, transfers, and resignations, to maintain and update payroll records.
- Process and issue employee paychecks and statements of earnings and deductions.
- Keep track of leave time, such as vacation, personal, and sick leave, for employees.
- Compile employee time, production, and payroll data from time sheets and other records.
- Distribute and collect timecards each pay period.
- Issue and record adjustments to pay related to previous errors or retroactive increases.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: CE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Conventional interests, but also prefer Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Achievement in their jobs.
- Clerical - Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography and transcription, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
- Personnel and Human Resources - Knowledge of principles and procedures for personnel recruitment, selection, training, compensation and benefits, labor relations and negotiation, and personnel information systems.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2013, the average annual wage in United States was $39,850 with most people making between $25,370 and $57,150
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 187,000 people in United States. It is projected that there will be 214,000 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 2,000 openings due to growth and about 63,000 replacement openings for approximately 65,000 total annual openings.
onetBookkeeping, Accounting, and Auditing Clerks
collegeUniversity of California-Merced
majorAccounting and Finance
majorAccounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping
onetOffice Clerks, General
collegeCalifornia State University-Los Angeles
majorBusiness Administration and Management, General
onetMedical Records and Health Information Technicians
collegeCalifornia State Polytechnic University-Pomona
collegeUniversity of California-Berkeley