Answer inquiries and provide information to the general public, customers, visitors, and other interested parties regarding activities conducted at establishment and location of departments, offices, and employees within the organization.
- Administrative Assistant
- Appointment Clerk
- Appointment Scheduler
- Appointment Setter
- Automobile Club Information Clerk
- Call Center Agent
- Call Center Operator
- Call Center Representative
- Call Taker
- Operate telephone switchboard to answer, screen, or forward calls, providing information, taking messages, or scheduling appointments.
- Greet persons entering establishment, determine nature and purpose of visit, and direct or escort them to specific destinations.
- Transmit information or documents to customers, using computer, mail, or facsimile machine.
- Hear and resolve complaints from customers or the public.
- Perform administrative support tasks, such as proofreading, transcribing handwritten information, or operating calculators or computers to work with pay records, invoices, balance sheets, or other documents.
- File and maintain records.
- Provide information about establishment, such as location of departments or offices, employees within the organization, or services provided.
- Collect, sort, distribute, or prepare mail, messages, or courier deliveries.
- Process and prepare memos, correspondence, travel vouchers, or other documents.
- Receive payment and record receipts for services.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: CES.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Conventional interests, but also prefer Enterprising and Social environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Achievement in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Clerical - Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography and transcription, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Telecommunications - Knowledge of transmission, broadcasting, switching, control, and operation of telecommunications systems.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2013, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $28,700 with most people making between $19,620 and $38,980
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 48,050 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 50,950 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have about 295 openings due to growth and about 1,295 replacement openings for approximately 1,590 total annual openings.
- Library Technicians
- Counter and Rental Clerks
- Switchboard Operators, Including Answering Service
- Telephone Operators
- License Clerks
- Hotel, Motel, and Resort Desk Clerks
- New Accounts Clerks
- Order Clerks
- Secretaries and Administrative Assistants, Except Legal, Medical, and Executive
- Insurance Claims Clerks
- Office Clerks, General
collegeVentura Adult and Continuing Education
onetSecretaries and Administrative Assistants, Except Legal, Medical, and Executive
onetCustomer Service Representatives
majorBusiness Administration and Management, General
majorGeneral Office Occupations and Clerical Services
onetOffice Clerks, General
collegeSan Diego State University
collegeCalifornia State University-Long Beach