Prepare incoming and outgoing mail for distribution. Examine, sort, and route mail. Load, operate, and occasionally adjust and repair mail processing, sorting, and canceling machinery. Keep records of shipments, pouches, and sacks; and other duties related to mail handling within the postal service.
- ZMT Operator (Zip Mail Translator Operator)
- Window Clerk
- Sorting Machine Operator
- Small Package and Bundle Sorter Clerk (SPBS Clerk)
- Registry Clerk
- Postal Transportation Clerk
- Postal Service Mail Processor
- Postal Clerk
- Post Office Markup Clerk
- Dump sacks of mail onto conveyors for culling and sorting.
- Cancel letter or parcel post stamps by hand.
- Load and unload mail trucks, sometimes lifting containers of mail onto equipment that transports items to sorting stations.
- Accept and check containers of mail from large volume mailers, couriers, and contractors.
- Sort odd-sized mail by hand, sort mail that other workers have been unable to sort, and segregate items requiring special handling.
- Move containers of mail, using equipment such as forklifts and automated trains.
- Weigh articles to determine required postage.
- Rewrap soiled or broken parcels.
- Open and label mail containers.
- Check items to ensure that addresses are legible and correct, that sufficient postage has been paid or the appropriate documentation is attached, and that items are in a suitable condition for processing.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: CR.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Conventional interests, but also prefer Realistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Clerical - Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography and transcription, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2013, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $49,240 with most people making between $30,980 and $54,040
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 8,100 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 7,000 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 70 replacement openings for approximately 70 total annual openings.
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
majorGeneral Office Occupations and Clerical Services
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
majorAdministrative Assistant and Secretarial Science, General
majorData Entry/Microcomputer Applications, General
collegeCity College of San Francisco
collegeCalifornia State University-Los Angeles