Receive, store, and issue sales floor merchandise. Stock shelves, racks, cases, bins, and tables with merchandise and arrange merchandise displays to attract customers. May periodically take physical count of stock or check and mark merchandise.
- Building Materials Sales Attendant
- Checker Stocker
- Grocery Clerk
- Grocery Clerk, Stocking
- Grocery Stock Clerk
- Grocery Stocker
- Inventory Control Specialist
- Inventory Controller
- Inventory Taker
- Inventory Technician
- Answer customers' questions about merchandise and advise customers on merchandise selection.
- Itemize and total customer merchandise selection at checkout counter, using cash register, and accept cash or charge card for purchases.
- Take inventory or examine merchandise to identify items to be reordered or replenished.
- Pack customer purchases in bags or cartons.
- Stock shelves, racks, cases, bins, and tables with new or transferred merchandise.
- Receive, open, unpack and issue sales floor merchandise.
- Clean display cases, shelves, and aisles.
- Compare merchandise invoices to items actually received to ensure that shipments are correct.
- Requisition merchandise from supplier based on available space, merchandise on hand, customer demand, or advertised specials.
- Transport packages to customers' vehicles.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: CRE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Conventional interests, but also prefer Realistic and Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Independence in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
Some of these occupations may require a high school diploma or GED certificate.
In 2012, the average annual wage in United States was $24,440.00 with most people making between $16,890.00 and $36,820.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 1,787,000 people in United States. It is projected that there will be 1,808,000 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 2,000 openings due to growth and about 463,000 replacement openings for approximately 465,000 total annual openings.
- Food Preparation Workers
- Combined Food Preparation and Serving Workers, Including Fast Food
- Dining Room and Cafeteria Attendants and Bartender Helpers
- Janitors and Cleaners, Except Maids and Housekeeping Cleaners
- Gaming and Sports Book Writers and Runners
- Gaming Cage Workers
- Library Assistants, Clerical
- Order Fillers, Wholesale and Retail Sales
collegeCalifornia State University-Los Angeles
majorAccounting and Finance
collegeUniversity of Southern California
majorSales, Distribution, and Marketing Operations, General
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
collegeSan Diego State University
majorAccounting and Business/Management