Fill customers' mail and telephone orders from stored merchandise in accordance with specifications on sales slips or order forms. Duties include computing prices of items, completing order receipts, keeping records of out-going orders, and requisitioning additional materials, supplies, and equipment.
- Requisition additional materials, supplies, and equipment.
- Place merchandise on conveyors leading to wrapping areas.
- Keep records of out-going orders.
- Complete order receipts.
- Compute prices of items or groups of items.
- Obtain merchandise from bins or shelves.
- Read orders to ascertain catalog numbers, sizes, colors, and quantities of merchandise.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: CR.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Conventional interests, but also prefer Realistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Mathematics - Using mathematics to solve problems.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2014, the average annual wage in United States was $25,380 with most people making between $17,260 and $38,140
During 2012, this occupation employed approximately 1,807,200 people in United States. It is projected that there will be 1,801,200 employed in 2022.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 54,600 replacement openings for approximately 54,600 total annual openings.
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
onetOffice Clerks, General
collegeAmerican River College
majorConsumer Merchandising/Retailing Management
majorGeneral Office Occupations and Clerical Services
collegeFresno City College
majorBanking and Financial Support Services
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
majorData Entry/Microcomputer Applications, General