Perform secretarial duties using specific knowledge of medical terminology and hospital, clinic, or laboratory procedures. Duties may include scheduling appointments, billing patients, and compiling and recording medical charts, reports, and correspondence.
- Ward Secretary
- Ward Clerk
- Verification Specialist
- Unit Support Representative
- Unit Secretary
- Surgery Scheduler
- Psychiatric Secretary
- Physician Office Specialist
- Patient Coordinator
- Patient Account Representative
- Prepare correspondence or assist physicians or medical scientists with preparation of reports, speeches, articles, or conference proceedings.
- Arrange hospital admissions for patients.
- Transcribe recorded messages or practitioners' diagnoses or recommendations into patients' medical records.
- Complete insurance or other claim forms.
- Schedule tests or procedures for patients, such as lab work or x-rays, based on physician orders.
- Perform bookkeeping duties, such as credits or collections, preparing and sending financial statements or bills, and keeping financial records.
- Interview patients to complete documents, case histories, or forms, such as intake or insurance forms.
- Perform various clerical or administrative functions, such as ordering and maintaining an inventory of supplies.
- Transmit correspondence or medical records by mail, e-mail, or fax.
- Receive and route messages or documents, such as laboratory results, to appropriate staff.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: CS.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Conventional interests, but also prefer Social environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Clerical - Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography and transcription, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2013, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $39,750 with most people making between $27,890 and $55,020
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 18,050 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 20,450 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have about 240 openings due to growth and about 240 replacement openings for approximately 480 total annual openings.
collegeUniversity of California-Irvine
collegeSan Jose State University
onetOffice Clerks, General
majorMedical Insurance Coding Specialist/Coder
majorMedical Administrative/Executive Assistant and Medical Secretary
onetMedical Records and Health Information Technicians
majorMedical Office Assistant/Specialist
majorMedical Insurance Specialist/Medical Biller
collegeLoma Linda University