Obtain information from insured or designated persons for purpose of settling claim with insurance carrier.
- Claim Processing Specialist
- Claim Taker
- Claims Adjudicator
- Claims Adjuster
- Claims Assistant
- Claims Clerk
- Claims Coordinator
- Claims Customer Service Representative (Claims CSR)
- Claims Examiner
- Claims Processor
- Review insurance policy to determine coverage.
- Prepare insurance claim forms or related documents and review them for completeness.
- Provide customer service, such as limited instructions on proceeding with claims or referrals to auto repair facilities or local contractors.
- Organize or work with detailed office or warehouse records, using computers to enter, access, search or retrieve data.
- Post or attach information to claim file.
- Pay small claims.
- Transmit claims for payment or further investigation.
- Contact insured or other involved persons to obtain missing information.
- Calculate amount of claim.
- Apply insurance rating systems.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: CE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Conventional interests, but also prefer Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Clerical - Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography and transcription, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in United States was $37,300.00 with most people making between $25,180.00 and $52,560.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 248,000 people in United States. It is projected that there will be 269,000 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 2,000 openings due to growth and about 94,000 replacement openings for approximately 96,000 total annual openings.
- Tax Preparers
- Billing, Cost, and Rate Clerks
- License Clerks
- Loan Interviewers and Clerks
- New Accounts Clerks
- Human Resources Assistants, Except Payroll and Timekeeping
- Legal Secretaries
- Secretaries and Administrative Assistants, Except Legal, Medical, and Executive
- Insurance Policy Processing Clerks
majorMedical Insurance Specialist/Medical Biller
onetMedical Records and Health Information Technicians
collegeLoma Linda University
onetCustomer Service Representatives
majorAdministrative Assistant and Secretarial Science, General
majorAccounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping
onetInsurance Policy Processing Clerks
onetOffice Clerks, General
majorGeneral Office Occupations and Clerical Services