Directly supervise and coordinate activities of aquacultural workers.
- Wildlife Manager
- Shellfish Grower
- Shellfish Farming Supervisor
- Rainbow Trout Farm Manager
- Hatchery Manager
- Harvest Manager
- Fishery Biologist
- Fisheries Manager
- Fisheries Biologist
- Fish Hatchery Supervisor
- Select and ship eggs to other hatcheries.
- Supervise the artificial spawning of various salmon and trout species.
- Requisition supplies.
- Perform both supervisory and management functions, such as accounting, marketing, and personnel work.
- Maintain workers' time records.
- Interview and select new employees.
- Plan work schedules according to personnel and equipment availability, tidal levels, feeding schedules, or transfer and harvest needs.
- Direct workers to correct problems such as disease, quality of seed distribution, or adequacy of cultivation.
- Train workers in spawning, rearing, cultivating, and harvesting methods, and in the use of equipment.
- Engage in the same fishery work as workers supervised.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ERC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Realistic and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Working Conditions, but also value Achievement and Independence in their jobs.
- Biology - Knowledge of plant and animal organisms, their tissues, cells, functions, interdependencies, and interactions with each other and the environment.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Personnel and Human Resources - Knowledge of principles and procedures for personnel recruitment, selection, training, compensation and benefits, labor relations and negotiation, and personnel information systems.
- Chemistry - Knowledge of the chemical composition, structure, and properties of substances and of the chemical processes and transformations that they undergo. This includes uses of chemicals and their interactions, danger signs, production techniques, and disposal methods.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Management of Personnel Resources - Motivating, developing, and directing people as they work, identifying the best people for the job.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2013, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $47,910 with most people making between $23,390 and $75,010
New Jersey projection information is not available
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation
collegeCalifornia Polytechnic State University-San Luis Obispo
majorWildlife, Fish and Wildlands Science and Management
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Agricultural Crop and Horticultural Workers
majorFishing and Fisheries Sciences and Management
collegeSan Diego State University
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Animal Husbandry and Animal Care Workers
collegeUniversity of Southern California
collegeHumboldt State University
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers