Directly supervise and coordinate activities of agricultural crop or horticultural workers.
- Agricultural and Forestry Supervisor
- Agriculture Manager
- Area Supervisor
- Boom Boss
- Boom Master
- Christmas Tree Farm Crew Boss
- Christmas Tree Farmer
- Christmas Tree Farm Manager
- Citrus Harvest Superintendent
- Corn Crop Foreman
- Arrange for transportation, equipment, or living quarters for seasonal workers.
- Perform hardscape activities, including installation or repair of irrigation systems, resurfacing or grading of paths, rockwork, or erosion control.
- Monitor or oversee construction projects, such as horticultural buildings or irrigation systems.
- Contract with seasonal workers and farmers to provide employment.
- Calculate or monitor budgets for maintenance or development of collections, grounds, or infrastructure.
- Investigate grievances and settle disputes to maintain harmony among workers.
- Read inventory records, customer orders, or shipping schedules to determine required activities.
- Recruit, hire, or discharge workers.
- Confer with managers to evaluate weather or soil conditions, to develop plans or procedures, or to discuss issues such as changes in fertilizers, herbicides, or cultivating techniques.
- Inspect facilities to determine maintenance needs.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: REC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Enterprising and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Support and Achievement in their jobs.
- Food Production - Knowledge of techniques and equipment for planting, growing, and harvesting food products (both plant and animal) for consumption, including storage/handling techniques.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $52,680 with most people making between $30,460 and $79,770
New Jersey projection information is not available
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation
- Nursery and Greenhouse Managers
- Farm and Ranch Managers
- Aquacultural Managers
- Food Scientists and Technologists
- Farm and Home Management Advisors
- Coaches and Scouts
- Dietitians and Nutritionists
- First-Line Supervisors of Landscaping, Lawn Service, and Groundskeeping Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Logging Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Aquacultural Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Animal Husbandry and Animal Care Workers
- Agricultural Inspectors
- Farmworkers and Laborers, Crop
majorPlant Sciences, General
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Animal Husbandry and Animal Care Workers
majorAlternative and Complementary Medicine and Medical Systems, General
collegeCosumnes River College
collegeCalifornia State University-Sacramento
majorAgricultural and Horticultural Plant Breeding
majorAgricultural Production Operations, General
collegeCalifornia State University-Fresno
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
collegeCalifornia Polytechnic State University-San Luis Obispo