Directly supervise and coordinate activities of agricultural crop or horticultural workers.
- Agricultural and Forestry Supervisor
- Agriculture Manager
- Area Supervisor
- Boom Boss
- Boom Master
- Christmas Tree Farm Crew Boss
- Christmas Tree Farm Manager
- Christmas Tree Farmer
- Citrus Harvest Superintendent
- Corn Crop Foreman
- Inspect crops, fields, or plant stock to determine conditions and need for cultivating, spraying, weeding, or harvesting.
- Assign duties, such as cultivation, irrigation, or harvesting of crops or plants, product packaging or grading, or equipment maintenance.
- Observe workers to detect inefficient or unsafe work procedures or to identify problems, initiating corrective action as necessary.
- Review employees' work to evaluate quality and quantity.
- Prepare and maintain time or payroll reports, as well as details of personnel actions, such as performance evaluations, hires, promotions, or disciplinary actions.
- Plan or supervise infrastructure or collection maintenance functions, such as planting, fertilizing, pest or weed control, or landscaping.
- Prepare reports regarding farm conditions, crop yields, machinery breakdowns, or labor problems.
- Requisition or purchase supplies, such as insecticides, machine parts or lubricants, or tools.
- Estimate labor requirements for jobs and plan work schedules accordingly.
- Direct or assist with the adjustment or repair of farm equipment or machinery.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: REC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Enterprising and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Support and Achievement in their jobs.
- Food Production - Knowledge of techniques and equipment for planting, growing, and harvesting food products (both plant and animal) for consumption, including storage/handling techniques.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2013, the average annual wage in United States was $45,940 with most people making between $25,440 and $70,940
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 47,000 people in United States. It is projected that there will be 46,000 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 13,000 replacement openings for approximately 13,000 total annual openings.
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation
- Nursery and Greenhouse Managers
- Farm and Ranch Managers
- Aquacultural Managers
- Food Scientists and Technologists
- Farm and Home Management Advisors
- Coaches and Scouts
- Dietitians and Nutritionists
- First-Line Supervisors of Landscaping, Lawn Service, and Groundskeeping Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Logging Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Aquacultural Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Animal Husbandry and Animal Care Workers
- Agricultural Inspectors
- Farmworkers and Laborers, Crop
majorPlant Sciences, General
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Animal Husbandry and Animal Care Workers
majorAlternative and Complementary Medicine and Medical Systems, General
collegeCosumnes River College
collegeCalifornia State University-Sacramento
majorAgricultural and Horticultural Plant Breeding
majorAgricultural Production Operations, General
collegeCalifornia State University-Fresno
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
collegeCalifornia Polytechnic State University-San Luis Obispo