Directly supervise and coordinate activities of animal husbandry or animal care workers.
- Animal Care Supervisor
- Animal Caretaker Supervisor
- Animal Maintenance Supervisor
- Animal Shelter Manager
- Artificial Breeding Ranch Supervisor
- Barn Boss
- Barn Manager
- Beef Cattle Operations Manager
- Breeder Complex Manager
- Camp Boss
- Monitor eggs and adjust incubator thermometers and gauges to facilitate hatching progress and to maintain specified conditions.
- Investigate complaints of animal neglect or cruelty, and follow up on complaints appearing to require prosecution.
- Inseminate livestock artificially to produce desired offspring.
- Recruit, hire, and pay workers.
- Operate euthanasia equipment to destroy animals.
- Plan budgets and arrange for purchase of animals, feed, or supplies.
- Transport or arrange for transport of animals, equipment, food, animal feed, and other supplies to and from work sites.
- Establish work schedules and procedures.
- Inspect buildings, fences, fields or ranges, supplies, and equipment to determine work to be performed.
- Direct and assist workers in maintenance and repair of facilities.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ER.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Realistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Achievement and Relationships in their jobs.
- Biology - Knowledge of plant and animal organisms, their tissues, cells, functions, interdependencies, and interactions with each other and the environment.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Food Production - Knowledge of techniques and equipment for planting, growing, and harvesting food products (both plant and animal) for consumption, including storage/handling techniques.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Management of Personnel Resources - Motivating, developing, and directing people as they work, identifying the best people for the job.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2013, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $47,910 with most people making between $23,390 and $75,010
New Jersey projection information is not available
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation
- Nursery and Greenhouse Managers
- Farm and Ranch Managers
- Aquacultural Managers
- Natural Sciences Managers
- Food Scientists and Technologists
- Range Managers
- Farm and Home Management Advisors
- Coaches and Scouts
- Dietitians and Nutritionists
- First-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Landscaping, Lawn Service, and Groundskeeping Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Logging Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Aquacultural Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Agricultural Crop and Horticultural Workers
- Farmworkers and Laborers, Crop
collegeCalifornia State University-Long Beach
majorAnimal/Livestock Husbandry and Production
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
collegeWestern University of Health Sciences
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Agricultural Crop and Horticultural Workers
majorHorse Husbandry/Equine Science and Management
collegeUniversity of California-Davis
majorAnimal Sciences, General
majorFarm/Farm and Ranch Management