Inspect agricultural commodities, processing equipment, and facilities, and fish and logging operations, to ensure compliance with regulations and laws governing health, quality, and safety.
- Advise farmers or growers of development programs or new equipment or techniques to aid in quality production.
- Compare product recipes with government-approved formulas or recipes to determine acceptability.
- Testify in legal proceedings.
- Provide consultative services in areas such as equipment or product evaluation, plant construction or layout, or food safety systems.
- Inquire about pesticides or chemicals to which animals may have been exposed.
- Review and monitor foreign product inspection systems in countries of origin to ensure equivalence to the U.S. system.
- Collect samples from animals, plants, or products and route them to laboratories for microbiological assessment, ingredient verification, or other testing.
- Direct or monitor the quarantine and treatment or destruction of plants or plant products.
- Write reports of findings and recommendations and advise farmers, growers, or processors of corrective action to be taken.
- Set labeling standards and approve labels for meat or poultry products.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RCI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional and Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Support and Independence in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Law and Government - Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
- Clerical - Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography and transcription, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2013, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $50,220 with most people making between $30,930 and $68,450
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 100 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 100 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have approximately - job openings annually.
majorAgricultural and Food Products Processing
collegeTexas A & M University-College Station
collegeTexas Tech University
majorAgribusiness/Agricultural Business Operations
collegeOhio State University Agricultural Technical Institute
collegeAngelo State University
majorAgricultural/Farm Supplies Retailing and Wholesaling
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Animal Husbandry and Animal Care Workers
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Agricultural Crop and Horticultural Workers