Select and breed animals according to their genealogy, characteristics, and offspring. May require knowledge of artificial insemination techniques and equipment use. May involve keeping records on heats, birth intervals, or pedigree.
- Animal Breeder
- Animal Husbandman
- Animal Technician
- Artificial Insemination Technician (AI Technician)
- Artificial Inseminator
- Bee Breeder
- Breeding Manager
- Broodmare Foreman
- Feed and water animals, and clean and disinfect pens, cages, yards, and hutches.
- Examine animals in order to detect symptoms of illness or injury.
- Place vaccines in drinking water, inject vaccines, or dust air with vaccine powder, in order to protect animals from diseases.
- Select animals to be bred, and semen specimens to be used, according to knowledge of animals, genealogies, traits, and desired offspring characteristics.
- Treat minor injuries and ailments, and contact veterinarians in order to obtain treatment for animals with serious illnesses or injuries.
- Observe animals in heat in order to detect approach of estrus, and exercise animals to induce or hasten estrus, if necessary.
- Record animal characteristics such as weights, growth patterns, and diets.
- Exhibit animals at shows.
- Build hutches, pens, and fenced yards.
- Clip or shear hair on animals.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Working Conditions and Achievement in their jobs.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Biology - Knowledge of plant and animal organisms, their tissues, cells, functions, interdependencies, and interactions with each other and the environment.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Science - Using scientific rules and methods to solve problems.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2012, the average annual wage in Washington was n/a with most people making between n/a and n/a
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately n/a people in Washington. It is projected that there will be - employed in 2018.
This occupation will have approximately - job openings annually.
- Pesticide Handlers, Sprayers, and Applicators, Vegetation
- Forest and Conservation Workers
- Floor Layers, Except Carpet, Wood, and Hard Tiles
- Security and Fire Alarm Systems Installers
- Bicycle Repairers
- Control and Valve Installers and Repairers, Except Mechanical Door
- Home Appliance Repairers
- Maintenance Workers, Machinery
- Model Makers, Metal and Plastic
- Transportation Vehicle, Equipment and Systems Inspectors, Except Aviation
collegeThe University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
collegeUniversity of California-Davis
onetHunters and Trappers
collegeUniversity of Southern California
onetZoologists and Wildlife Biologists
majorAnimal/Livestock Husbandry and Production