Work in nursery facilities or at customer location planting, cultivating, harvesting, and transplanting trees, shrubs, or plants.
- Bulb Grower
- Bulb Packer
- Bulb Planter
- Bulb Weeder
- Field Hand
- Florist Helper
- Clean work areas, and maintain grounds and landscaping.
- Move containerized shrubs, plants, and trees, using wheelbarrows or tractors.
- Plant, spray, weed, fertilize, and water plants, shrubs, and trees, using hand tools and gardening tools.
- Harvest plants, and transplant or pot and label them.
- Feel plants' leaves and note their coloring to detect the presence of insects or disease.
- Operate tractors and other machinery and equipment to fertilize, cultivate, harvest, and spray fields and plants.
- Inspect plants and bud ties to assess quality.
- Dig, cut, and transplant seedlings, cuttings, trees, and shrubs.
- Haul and spread topsoil, fertilizer, peat moss, and other materials to condition soil, using wheelbarrows or carts and shovels.
- Maintain and repair irrigation and climate control systems.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: R.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Achievement and Relationships in their jobs.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Chemistry - Knowledge of the chemical composition, structure, and properties of substances and of the chemical processes and transformations that they undergo. This includes uses of chemicals and their interactions, danger signs, production techniques, and disposal methods.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Some of these occupations may require a high school diploma or GED certificate.
In 2012, the average annual wage in Washington was $24,940.00 with most people making between $19,070.00 and $36,440.00
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 3,610 people in Washington. It is projected that there will be 3,920 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have about 31 openings due to growth and about 99 replacement openings for approximately 130 total annual openings.
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation
- Farmworkers, Farm, Ranch, and Aquacultural Animals
- Insulation Workers, Floor, Ceiling, and Wall
- Rock Splitters, Quarry
- Roustabouts, Oil and Gas
- Meat, Poultry, and Fish Cutters and Trimmers
- Pourers and Casters, Metal
- Textile Cutting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Coating, Painting, and Spraying Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Molding and Casting Workers
- Laborers and Freight, Stock, and Material Movers, Hand
collegeLoma Linda University
collegeUniversity of Southern California
onetChild, Family, and School Social Workers
majorCriminal Justice/Police Science
collegeSanta Monica College
majorNursing/Registered Nurse (RN, ASN, BSN, MSN)
collegeUniversity of California-Irvine