Construct, erect, install, and repair structures and fixtures of wood, plywood, and wallboard, using carpenter's hand tools and power tools.
- Wooden Tank Erector
- Wood Tank Erector
- Wood Tank Builder
- Wood Floor Layer
- Wood Car Builder
- Wood Boatbuilder Apprentice
- Wood Boatbuilder
- Windows and Doors Installer
- Window Sash Installer
- Work with or remove hazardous material.
- Construct forms or chutes for pouring concrete.
- Prepare cost estimates for clients or employers.
- Perform minor plumbing, welding, or concrete mixing work.
- Fill cracks or other defects in plaster or plasterboard and sand patch, using patching plaster, trowel, and sanding tool.
- Cover subfloors with building paper to keep out moisture and lay hardwood, parquet, or wood-strip-block floors by nailing floors to subfloor or cementing them to mastic or asphalt base.
- Apply shock-absorbing, sound-deadening, or decorative paneling to ceilings or walls.
- Finish surfaces of woodwork or wallboard in houses or buildings, using paint, hand tools, or paneling.
- Remove damaged or defective parts or sections of structures and repair or replace, using hand tools.
- Assemble and fasten materials to make frameworks or props, using hand tools and wood screws, nails, dowel pins, or glue.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RCI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional and Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Achievement and Independence in their jobs.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2013, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $53,730 with most people making between $29,220 and $89,020
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 31,050 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 30,900 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 390 replacement openings for approximately 390 total annual openings.
- Brickmasons and Blockmasons
- Rough Carpenters
- Tile and Marble Setters
- Drywall and Ceiling Tile Installers
- Painters, Construction and Maintenance
- Pipe Fitters and Steamfitters
- Reinforcing Iron and Rebar Workers
- Structural Iron and Steel Workers
- Fence Erectors
- Recreational Vehicle Service Technicians
collegeLos Angeles Trade Technical College
collegeGadsden State Community College
onetWelders, Cutters, and Welder Fitters
collegeAtlanta Technical College
majorConstruction/Heavy Equipment/Earthmoving Equipment Operation
collegeJefferson State Community College