Construct, erect, install, and repair structures and fixtures of wood, plywood, and wallboard, using carpenter's hand tools and power tools.
- Aluminum Siding Applicator
- Aluminum Siding Installer
- Aluminum Siding Mechanic
- Asbestos Siding Mechanic
- Assembled Wood Products Repairer
- Beam Builder
- Boat Builder
- Boat Carpenter
- Boat Carpenter Mechanic
- Perform minor plumbing, welding, or concrete mixing work.
- Work with or remove hazardous material.
- Prepare cost estimates for clients or employers.
- Apply shock-absorbing, sound-deadening, or decorative paneling to ceilings or walls.
- Cover subfloors with building paper to keep out moisture and lay hardwood, parquet, or wood-strip-block floors by nailing floors to subfloor or cementing them to mastic or asphalt base.
- Arrange for subcontractors to deal with special areas, such as heating or electrical wiring work.
- Construct forms or chutes for pouring concrete.
- Maintain records, document actions, and present written progress reports.
- Select and order lumber or other required materials.
- Fill cracks or other defects in plaster or plasterboard and sand patch, using patching plaster, trowel, and sanding tool.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RCI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional and Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Achievement and Independence in their jobs.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Equipment Selection - Determining the kind of tools and equipment needed to do a job.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Mathematics - Using mathematics to solve problems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in Washington was $49,850 with most people making between $29,500 and $73,240
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 52,670 people in Washington. It is projected that there will be 47,990 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 770 replacement openings for approximately 770 total annual openings.
- Brickmasons and Blockmasons
- Rough Carpenters
- Tile and Marble Setters
- Drywall and Ceiling Tile Installers
- Painters, Construction and Maintenance
- Pipe Fitters and Steamfitters
- Reinforcing Iron and Rebar Workers
- Structural Iron and Steel Workers
- Fence Erectors
- Recreational Vehicle Service Technicians
collegeLos Angeles Trade Technical College
collegeGadsden State Community College
onetWelders, Cutters, and Welder Fitters
collegeAtlanta Technical College
majorConstruction/Heavy Equipment/Earthmoving Equipment Operation
collegeJefferson State Community College