Lay and install carpet from rolls or blocks on floors. Install padding and trim flooring materials.
- Carpet Floor Layer Apprentice
- Carpet Installer
- Carpet Installer Helper
- Carpet Jack
- Carpet Journeyman
- Carpet Layer
- Carpet Mechanic
- Carpet Tile Layer
- Commercial Carpet Installer
- Commercial Floor Covering Installer
- Inspect the surface to be covered to determine its condition, and correct any imperfections that might show through carpet or cause carpet to wear unevenly.
- Roll out, measure, mark, and cut carpeting to size with a carpet knife, following floor sketches and allowing extra carpet for final fitting.
- Join edges of carpet and seam edges where necessary, by sewing or by using tape with glue and heated carpet iron.
- Cut and trim carpet to fit along wall edges, openings, and projections, finishing the edges with a wall trimmer.
- Plan the layout of the carpet, allowing for expected traffic patterns and placing seams for best appearance and longest wear.
- Stretch carpet to align with walls and ensure a smooth surface, and press carpet in place over tack strips or use staples, tape, tacks or glue to hold carpet in place.
- Take measurements and study floor sketches to calculate the area to be carpeted and the amount of material needed.
- Install carpet on some floors using adhesive, following prescribed method.
- Clean up before and after installation, including vacuuming carpet and discarding remnant pieces.
- Measure, cut and install tackless strips along the baseboard or wall.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Independence in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Mathematics - Using mathematics to solve problems.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2013, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $51,330 with most people making between $27,630 and $87,740
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 1,250 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 1,150 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 30 replacement openings for approximately 30 total annual openings.
collegeAlabama A & M University
collegeUniversity of Alabama at Birmingham
collegeBirmingham Southern College
majorCarpet, Floor, and Tile Worker
collegeJacksonville State University
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
majorConstruction/Heavy Equipment/Earthmoving Equipment Operation