Smooth and finish surfaces of poured concrete, such as floors, walks, sidewalks, roads, or curbs using a variety of hand and power tools. Align forms for sidewalks, curbs, or gutters; patch voids; and use saws to cut expansion joints.
- Block Mason
- Cement Finisher
- Cement Gun Operator
- Cement Mason
- Cement Mason Apprentice
- Cement Patcher
- Column Precaster
- Concrete Fence Builder
- Concrete Finisher
- Spread roofing paper on surface of foundation, and spread concrete onto roofing paper with trowel to form terrazzo base.
- Mix cement, sand, and water to produce concrete, grout, or slurry, using hoe, trowel, tamper, scraper, or concrete-mixing machine.
- Sprinkle colored marble or stone chips, powdered steel, or coloring powder over surface to produce prescribed finish.
- Apply muriatic acid to clean surface, and rinse with water.
- Polish surface, using polishing or surfacing machine.
- Push roller over surface to embed chips in surface.
- Cut metal division strips, and press them into terrazzo base so that top edges form desired design or pattern.
- Build wooden molds, and clamp molds around area to be repaired, using hand tools.
- Install anchor bolts, steel plates, door sills and other fixtures in freshly poured concrete or pattern or stamp the surface to provide a decorative finish.
- Fabricate concrete beams, columns, and panels.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Independence in their jobs.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2013, the average annual wage in New Jersey was $55,220 with most people making between $33,450 and $85,990
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 3,700 people in New Jersey. It is projected that there will be 3,700 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have approximately 90 job openings annually.
majorConcrete Finishing/Concrete Finisher
collegeCity College of San Francisco
majorConstruction/Heavy Equipment/Earthmoving Equipment Operation
collegeAtlanta Technical College
collegeJ F Drake State Community and Technical College
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
onetBrickmasons and Blockmasons
collegeBishop State Community College