Apply insulating materials to pipes or ductwork, or other mechanical systems in order to help control and maintain temperature.
- Air Conditioning Insulation Installer
- Blanket Maker
- Boiler Coverer
- Commercial Insulator
- Firestopper Installer
- Firestopper Technician
- Heat and Frost Insulator
- Industrial Insulator
- Insulation Helper
- Insulation Installer
- Measure and cut insulation for covering surfaces, using tape measures, handsaws, knives, and scissors.
- Fit insulation around obstructions, and shape insulating materials and protective coverings as required.
- Determine the amounts and types of insulation needed, and methods of installation, based on factors such as location, surface shape, and equipment use.
- Install sheet metal around insulated pipes with screws in order to protect the insulation from weather conditions or physical damage.
- Apply, remove, and repair insulation on industrial equipment, pipes, ductwork, or other mechanical systems such as heat exchangers, tanks, and vessels, to help control noise and maintain temperatures.
- Select appropriate insulation such as fiberglass, Styrofoam, or cork, based on the heat retaining or excluding characteristics of the material.
- Read blueprints and specifications to determine job requirements.
- Cover, seal, or finish insulated surfaces or access holes with plastic covers, canvas strips, sealants, tape, cement or asphalt mastic.
- Prepare surfaces for insulation application by brushing or spreading on adhesives, cement, or asphalt, or by attaching metal pins to surfaces.
- Remove or seal off old asbestos insulation, following safety procedures.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RCI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional and Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Relationships in their jobs.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in Washington was $56,810.00 with most people making between $32,190.00 and $84,630.00
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 1,230 people in Washington. It is projected that there will be 1,130 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 30 replacement openings for approximately 30 total annual openings.
- Drywall and Ceiling Tile Installers
- Elevator Installers and Repairers
- Electrical and Electronics Repairers, Powerhouse, Substation, and Relay
- Heating and Air Conditioning Mechanics and Installers
- Industrial Machinery Mechanics
- Maintenance Workers, Machinery
- Maintenance and Repair Workers, General
- Drilling and Boring Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Furnace, Kiln, Oven, Drier, and Kettle Operators and Tenders
collegeJ F Drake State Technical College
collegeNorthwest Shoals Community College-Muscle Shoals
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
collegeLawson State Community College-Birmingham Campus
majorPainting/Painter and Wall Coverer
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
collegeSouthern Union State Community College
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers