Apply insulating materials to pipes or ductwork, or other mechanical systems in order to help control and maintain temperature.
- Air Conditioning Insulation Installer
- Blanket Maker
- Boiler Coverer
- Commercial Insulator
- Firestopper Installer
- Firestopper Technician
- Heat and Frost Insulator
- Industrial Insulator
- Insulation Helper
- Insulation Installer
- Fill blower hoppers with insulating materials.
- Move controls, buttons, or levers to start blowers, and to regulate flow of materials through nozzles.
- Distribute insulating materials evenly into small spaces within floors, ceilings, or walls, using blowers and hose attachments or cement mortar.
- Remove or seal off old asbestos insulation, following safety procedures.
- Prepare surfaces for insulation application by brushing or spreading on adhesives, cement, or asphalt, or by attaching metal pins to surfaces.
- Cover, seal, or finish insulated surfaces or access holes with plastic covers, canvas strips, sealants, tape, cement or asphalt mastic.
- Read blueprints and specifications to determine job requirements.
- Select appropriate insulation such as fiberglass, Styrofoam, or cork, based on the heat retaining or excluding characteristics of the material.
- Apply, remove, and repair insulation on industrial equipment, pipes, ductwork, or other mechanical systems such as heat exchangers, tanks, and vessels, to help control noise and maintain temperatures.
- Install sheet metal around insulated pipes with screws in order to protect the insulation from weather conditions or physical damage.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RCI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional and Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Relationships in their jobs.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2013, the average annual wage in Washington was $54,030 with most people making between $31,420 and $80,250
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 1,230 people in Washington. It is projected that there will be 1,130 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 30 replacement openings for approximately 30 total annual openings.
collegeLawson State Community College-Birmingham Campus
majorPainting/Painter and Wall Coverer
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
collegeSouthern Union State Community College
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
collegeNorthwest-Shoals Community College
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
collegeJefferson State Community College