Paint walls, equipment, buildings, bridges, and other structural surfaces, using brushes, rollers, and spray guns. May remove old paint to prepare surface prior to painting. May mix colors or oils to obtain desired color or consistency.
- Architectural Coating Finisher
- Bitumastic Applier
- Bridge Painter
- Brush Painter
- Buildings Painter
- Colored Liquid Plastic Applier
- Commercial Painter
- Bake finishes on painted or enameled articles, using baking ovens.
- Spray or brush hot plastics or pitch onto surfaces.
- Cut stencils and brush or spray lettering or decorations on surfaces.
- Waterproof buildings, using waterproofers or caulking.
- Use special finishing techniques such as sponging, ragging, layering, or faux finishing.
- Polish final coats to specified finishes.
- Smooth surfaces, using sandpaper, scrapers, brushes, steel wool, or sanding machines.
- Select and purchase tools or finishes for surfaces to be covered, considering durability, ease of handling, methods of application, and customers' wishes.
- Remove old finishes by stripping, sanding, wire brushing, burning, or using water or abrasive blasting.
- Mix and match colors of paint, stain, or varnish with oil or thinning and drying additives to obtain desired colors and consistencies.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Clerical - Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography and transcription, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2013, the average annual wage in United States was $39,290 with most people making between $23,340 and $62,280
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 390,000 people in United States. It is projected that there will be 462,000 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 7,000 openings due to growth and about 150,000 replacement openings for approximately 157,000 total annual openings.
onetPainting, Coating, and Decorating Workers
collegePennsylvania College of Art and Design
collegeAlabama State University
onetBrickmasons and Blockmasons
collegeUniversity of Southern California
collegeJohn C Calhoun State Community College
majorConstruction/Heavy Equipment/Earthmoving Equipment Operation
majorPainting/Painter and Wall Coverer